Thread: Miri's Defiance Review

Thumbs up Miri's Defiance Review

Review of LDM’s build of Miri’s Defiance Lightsaber

This was my first MHS Hilt and I have to say that I was very eager to see how it turned out. I need not have worried. LDM went above and beyond on this hilt. The video of Defiance had me drooling and I don’t think the mailman has seen anyone jump for joy as much as I did when he delivered the package. The hilt will be part of my fursuit costume. Anyway, about the hilt itself.
    With the blade in, I have to say that its balance was exactly what I expected and the choke point is perfect for spinning. I’m not as fast with it as I am with the Yoda, but despite its heavier weight and size compared to my Yoda and Luke, I can spin it faster than the Luke and with almost the same comfort as the Yoda. This is definitely the best of both worlds here. The O-rings really help with the grip too. The parts are pretty solid. I was expecting them to be like the MR sabers. Tim’s parts are pretty solid and have a great finish to them. I know LDM went through a heck of a time with the electronics, but I have to say, I love the reverse sound! There really is a great resonance from the bottom of the hilt, giving the illusion of the sound coming from the bottom of the hilt like an MR. I really like the LED’s in the clamp and LDM’s choice of the Cyan bin 1 Lux 3 was a great call. I really love the color!
    So, I have to give this hilt 10 out of 10. I would really like to put a CF or US soundboard in this, so that’s on my tax return list along with a new blade because LDM salvaged my beaten up Vader MR blade, which somehow lost its tip when I took it outside last night for a test spin. I have no idea how that happened,I didnt hit anything, but no biggie. I had hoped to find it in the morning before this review goes out, but I guess I must have launched it or something.

Frankensaber:
    LDM surprised me with this because I had sent him the Vader hilt not expecting it back. We had discussed some modifications to my Vader hilt not long after I joined TCSS. When I sent the hilt, I was happy for him to keep the parts that were not going to be used with Defiance. So, he made a stunt saber out of the parts left over and it really surprised me as to how much lighter the hilt was with the clamp, MR blade, soundboard, etc. taken out of it. The vader hilt was my ‘bashing saber’ , the one I would use to play with my kids. Now it is definitely more kid friendly and able to take a beating.
    LDM, you are right, the squishy grips help alot and I like the accent lighting. I may have to get all crafty now and make a crystal chamber frame to put inside
    So Frankensaber gets a 10 too because it meets the need i have of a saber for playing with the kids. Both sabers had batteries in them so I literally unpacked and went wild.

So, would I reccomend an LDM saber? Absolutely! if you dont think he puts his heart into his work, go check out his youtube video where he shows off his workshop. :P

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Talking

Thank you for the wonderful comments Blue Fox. The tip was attached with Do-Clo's old standby Craftics #33(?) glue. It was likely loosened in shipping or I FUBAR'd the glue. Just order a thin walled tip from the shop (TCSS tips are awesome!) and glue it in. If I get another tip in the near future I'll just send it to you.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!