Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Brightness Chart

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Just to add....

the LedEngin 5w green pics are up on my new saber in the gallery "Aggressive Negotiations" I believe that it edges out the P4 in brightness, though slightly. I am probably underdriving it a bit.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

How is the color of the LedEngin 5w Green?
    Sometimes in pictures green looks kinda aqua green. Its hard to tell if thats just the camera playing tricks or not.
    Last edited by vargose; 03-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.

LedEngin Greens tend to range, in my experience, between LuxV Cyan bin 6 and Green bin 2

They have a very similar color to Green P4s, but are more saturated

The more green it is, the better. I am trying to lean away from cyan or aqua green. I am trying to decide between the Seoul P4 Green and the Cree XR-E green. I might give the LEDEngin Green a try.

I just compared my green P4 and the green on my LedEngin RGGB, and I can't see a significant difference. Both look quite green to me. But I know nothing about bin numbers, so take my two cents with a grain a salt (if I may mix my clichés).
    There's always a bigger fish.

Default LedEngin vs. Lux V

I though you'd all like to know my opinion of my very first LuxV.

I must qualify that I'm used to Lux (single) Rebels (royal blue and green) and LedEngin 5Ws (blue and green). Plus some Lux IIIs.

I got my first CF wired up on my Yoda chassis and finally installed in my vintage Graflex. I had it setup with a blue LedEngine 5W. Running it at 1300mA (led=60). Very bright and deep blue. Looks awesome.

I just got a new LuxV (Cyan bin1) today and swapped it with the LedEngin (kind of a hassle). I also changed the config setting to led=45 (1000mA).

I do have experience with a Lux III Cyan bin1 and the LuxV did not "blow me away". I was expecting a little more. Even though cyan is "brighter" than blue, I'm thinking the LedEngin blue was brighter. I'm just not that impressed. Combined with the fact that the LedEngin only needs 3.7V compared to 7.2V, I'm thinking of going back to the LedEngin. I'll give it a chance and see if it grows on my but it seems like too much power for not enough brightness.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying it isn't bright. It's just not that much different (like I was expecting) from the LedEngin.

What I"m really looking forward to is the tri-Rebel. A single Rebel is pretty bright. I'm hoping the double blue Rebel (with white clash/flash) at 7.2V will be brighter than the LedEngin and the LuxV. We'll see...

Right, the Lux V is basically a lot of "older" technology packed under one dome. I think it's technically:

4 Lux Is under a single dome...
    Combo of parallel & serial...
    ~3.6v for each
    ~350mA for each
    A 2+2 format yields ~7.2v @ 700mA...
    Obviously, you could overdrive quite a bit, since 350mA for each die is fairly tame, but... I've only pushed it as far as 1280mA.

Basically... it's a power hog under (again) older technology. Not that it isn't bright--as you said! But the Rebels certainly up the ante.

It seems clear that three Rebels of the same color all under one reflector/optic would be extremely superior to a Lux V, P4... and possibly the LEdEngin, but--I haven't seen the LedEngin one.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Yeah, but doesn't the problem with the Rebels always come back to the fact that they consist of three chips that are not under a single dome, and are therefore difficult to focus?
    There's always a bigger fish.

For the multi Rebels, see this: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=15083.0

Xwing makes his own and can get 3 to fit "under one roof".

What you're doing is basically blending 2 leds and using the other one for a momentary clash/flash. I expect it to be brighter than a Lux V.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Yeah, but doesn't the problem with the Rebels always come back to the fact that they consist of three chips that are not under a single dome, and are therefore difficult to focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    I haven't seen the LedEngin one.
    Hey Novastar,

You need to get a few LedEngins (green, blue). They're about $10 and similar specs to a P4 or Lux III. I think I got mine from Mouser Electronics.