Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: LED Brightness Chart

Default Retina, etc.

Okay, I feel the need to explain this stuff since I'm an overblown, egotistical academic that works in computer vision and cognitive science...

Light has to penetrate a bunch of nerve related wet-ware to get to the photoreceptors (see first image). The center of your retina (the macula) has a higher concentration of red and green receptors than else where. The peripheral part of your retina has a higher concentration of blue receptors (see grossly simplified second image). That's why police cars have both red and blue...attention in front, attention from the side. Green would be a poor choice since it means "Go!" in many cultures. It's also why blue neon signs are hard to focus on at night. That said, our photoreceptors respond better to green. That is, hit a red cone with pure red and the signal produced is less than a green cone hit with pure green. That's why a green 5mW laser looks MUCH brighter than a 5mW red laser. Green is perceived to be brighter at the same energy level.

Finally, the LED's themselves are more or less efficient depending upon the color and the quirks of the particular die when it was made. I'm not an EE, so optoelectronics is outside my comfort zone. I don't know if the green LED's are more efficient than red, which would further explain the difference in brightness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your charts need more cowbell.

J/K That's cool background info.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthus View Post
    Okay, I feel the need to explain this stuff since I'm an overblown, egotistical academic that works in computer vision and cognitive science...

Light has to penetrate a bunch of nerve related wet-ware to get to the photoreceptors (see first image). The center of your retina (the macula) has a higher concentration of red and green receptors than else where. The peripheral part of your retina has a higher concentration of blue receptors (see grossly simplified second image). That's why police cars have both red and blue...attention in front, attention from the side. Green would be a poor choice since it means "Go!" in many cultures. It's also why blue neon signs are hard to focus on at night. That said, our photoreceptors respond better to green. That is, hit a red cone with pure red and the signal produced is less than a green cone hit with pure green. That's why a green 5mW laser looks MUCH brighter than a 5mW red laser. Green is perceived to be brighter at the same energy level.

Finally, the LED's themselves are more or less efficient depending upon the color and the quirks of the particular die when it was made. I'm not an EE, so optoelectronics is outside my comfort zone. I don't know if the green LED's are more efficient than red, which would further explain the difference in brightness.
    Orthus, this is fascinating stuff. I wonder if there is some kind of evolutionary advantage to the distribution of red, green and blue receptors. But know I know that a blue lightsaber would be literally more "eye-catching" at a convention by virtue of having more impact on people's peripheral vision.
    There's always a bigger fish.

That all being said... this crazy Lux V blue saber I have had over many years... STILL trumps pretty much any other saber I have, and others I've seen.

Only recently, after installing this RGBA LEDEngin to yield a "GB" main blade green + "RA" for the flash on clash (FoC, via Crystal Focus) and lockup... the combination of all four LEDs on actually creates more light than the Lux V blue I have...

Strangely though... that Lux V *STILL* looks brighter to my eyes... even though I can clearly see a much larger pool of orange-ish light all over the place when I have the RGBA Crystal Focus saber on...

Anyhow. Just thought I'd share. Basically... as far as *I'VE* seen... BLUE has appeared to be "the brightest". Strange as it is.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Maybe you just have super blue enhanced special eyes nova
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    Maybe you just have super blue enhanced special eyes nova
    or "color-blind" perhaps? Everyone's eyes are slightly different, as are people's internal perception of what they see. There's an old psychology/perception paper that uses the concept "what's it like to see blue" as a way of discussing the differences in perception from person to person (another uses "what's it like to be a bat" )

So Nova...do all blue LEDs look bright to you or just this Lux V in particular?

i recently bought a lux meter,same model as makoto by chance. I got it because I keep seeing pics of people's blades..and comparison pics of how much brighter some are to others, but since i've only seen my p4 blue in TCSS trans poly tube with diffuser and a 90led string of cheap leds(practice).. i really have no basis to know just how bright mine are. I took a pic of my p4 , in the picture it looks super bright but in real life its not ahole lot brighter than the blue leds that were in my MR anikan i bought.

I built the same kind of setup as makoto , but during testing i noticed that the distance the blade is to the sensor makes a HUUUUGE difference on the reading. For example... my green led string (i'm using the same blade for each test) came out to 100lux , the MR anikan came out to 38. That was with the blade approx 6 1/2inch from the sensor in a totally blacked out box with 0lux reading to start. When i moved my blade 2inches away i got a reading of 530 and when i touched the blade to sensor i got 750.

Whether these readings are accurate ,regardless of distance from sensor, if we could establish a standard on how we test , then we could get a better feel for how bright our blades are from everyone else's.

Just my 2cents...or maybe 1/2 a cent since i'm new

Hey can whoever started the thread update the chart with the LedEngin info. That would be really great. Thanks all.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The person who started this thread hasn't logged onto the forums since Dec., so he's not likely to see your request any time soon.

If someone wants to post that information here, I can edit the first post and add that to it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I would appreciate it if you could edit the chart on the first page with LedEngin data, like you offered. Especially any data that's highest in it's category. It looks like there are winners in red, green, blue, and amber. I'm not sure how to judge the color mixing ones.

LedEngin LZ1 variety;
    Red 120 lumens @ 1000 ma
    Green 180 lumens @ 1000ma
    Blue 40 lumens @ 1000 ma
    Amber 105 lumens @ 1000 ma
    Cool White 227 lumens @ 1000 ma
    Neutral White 200 lumens @1000 ma
    Warm White 180 lumens @ 1000ma

LZ4 variety;
    all measured in lumens @ 1000 ma unless otherwise specified

4 dice of one color
    Cool White 850