Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xbox motherboard

Default xbox motherboard

Since we're all fairly nerdy 'round these parts I figured I might have some luck here. A few months ago I suffered a tragedy while playing TFL and obtained the blue "corduroy" screen which then led to the red ring of death. I immediately began searching youtube for tutorials on how to fix it. I eventually came across a video instructing the use of a towel wrapped around the xbox. Now at the time, mind you, I was not aware that the basis for the red ring was due to a heatsink problem. And as logic would dictate, purposely overheating a piece of electronic equipment that is already suffering from heat problems will ultimately make things worse.

Well, in my naviety I tried this, and of course it didn't work. So I dug deeper. This is when I learned of the heatsink and the graphics proccessor. So, doing what i do best I voided the warranty and pulled my xbox apart. I removed the heatsink, cleaned it and added the washers and machine screws and got rid of the POS x-clamps. However, even though I've put everything back together properly I still recieve that darned red ring. As far as I can tell I've given that motherboard waaaay more heat than it could handle with that bloody towel fix and I've fried the motherboard.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could gain access to another motherboard without dishing out another 200 bucks for a new xbox?

First of all, why did you take apart the X-Box? When me and my brother get the R.R.O.D., we turn off the X-Box, unplug the cable, replug the cable, and turn on the X-Box, and were good to go. But sometimes if that doesn't work, we get off of butt's, and go outside, thus giving the X-Box a time to cool down. This always works for me, and I don't believe it was the motherboard. I'm not sure what to do if it was, since I don't mess with the motherboard, I'm not a good source of help. But at least give it a try.
    Last edited by Lord Preston; 02-02-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    C:\Documents and Settings\Preston\My Documents\My PicturesThe cake is a lie.
    Official TCSS Noob welcomer.

Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?

And if nothing else, send it to microsoft. But since you couldn't keep your grubby paws out of the guts, now you've voided your warranty. Now you have to pay like $200 to get it fixed.

For the future. Warranty first, then try it yourself if there's nothing else. RROD is covered.
    Last edited by WeirdoTransvestite; 02-02-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Red 6 Standing By

Often simply removing the Hard Drive and then replacing it fixes the RRoD.

ah ha, another who has delved into the guts of our favourite console. My warranty had run out like 2 years ago so I pulled mine apart to fix the RROD. Did you get your parts from the Llammas Adventures?
    You could have killed it with the towel "fix", as you are supposed to overheat just the GPU not the CPU as well to get it to reset.
    Try eBay for a new motherboard if not a new xbox.

Good luck my warranty-voiding brethren

just wondering. do you have one of the original systems? because i have one that was made like a year after the release date and by then they started making the code name "falcon" systems which have 2 heat sinks and run much cooler. so if your doing a LOT of playing it might be better to get a new system with the better cooling. just an idea.

mine did it to. rrod and i turned it off then turned it back on. fixed it just fine.
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Okay fist of all the towel trick RUINS the 360.

Second of all. If it RROD'd on you. You should have left it alone, Gone to the XBOX website and filed a claim ticket for repair with "THREE RED LIGHTS" as the reason.

I have had FOUR 360's repaired FREE OF CHARGE this way, regardless of whether they were under warranty or not.

There are MANY reasons for the RROD, and the GPU problem is only one of them. Did you know that the RROD can be caused by the DVD-Rom drive going bad as well? Yes, it can.

THE BEST WAY to fix the RROD is to report it to the manufacturer. I had a 360 that was a YEAR out of the warranty period and they STILL fixed it for free.

What the Screw trick fixes is something that you could fix if you have a re-flow station or know someone that does.

The GPU problem is caused by the GPU getting so hot that it actually allows the solder on the pins to lift from the board, causing the GPU to disconnect.

This TOWEL TRICK that you see online everywhere is a poor man's attempt at re-flowing the solder connections on the GPU.

The Screw and brace fix clamps the GPU down. There is no need for a towel. You simply use the screws to clamp the heatsink down to the GPU, then turn the system on without the fan hooked up until it overheats, causing the solder to re-flow.

This is bad for many reasons.

1. You run the risk of overheating the CPU and fragging the chip.

2. The screws put unnecessary pressure on the the Mobo PCB, and overheating the system to re-flow the joints can warp and damage the existing traces in the layered PCB. That method of "fixing" the Solder problems, is a HACK-JOB.

3. You run the risk of burning out the power supply, fragging the MOBO completely, AND if you have the optical drive unhooked when you power up the system, the flash rom on the motherboard WILL note this state and make it IMPOSSIBLE for you to gain access to XBOX Live on that system, because it reads it as a MOD.

4. You are not a qualified technician, in the employ of Microsoft or subsidiary, and you don't apply for the THREE YEAR warranty given on all consoles repaired LEGALLY by microsoft, that you would if you had just sent it in.

No offense meant, but I do know what I am talking about here. I know people that repair these things legally for Microsoft.
    Last edited by Darth Morbius; 02-04-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Jarvis, it looks like your best bet is to visit pawn shops or flea markets and try to find one that is being sold for parts.

You can also try your local dealer. In my area they are called Players Choice. Instead of buying a brand new one, you could get it fixed plus the mod chip installed for around $200. Good luck.

@ Morbius, if you place the fan on top of the CPU while reseting it, itll keep that cool while the GPU resets.