Thread: What sould i go with

Question What sould i go with

Ok, so im going to be ordering parts for my first saber build. now i have a few questions on a few things.

1) which would be better for a green. lux3 or K2?
    2) what batteries should i use? AA or AAA and how many?
    3) im only making a saber atm that only lights up, with an indicator light. what resistor should i put between the LED and the battery pack? (i guess depending on the answers of the first 2 questions would determain the resistor?)

thanks in advance

Council Member
    Sith Lord

1) K2s are brighter - check out the LED resistor chart on the store
    2) AA batteries if you can fit it. Each battery is 1.5V, so see the resistor chart for what voltage you'll need.
    3) The resistor value you will need for the blade LED is on the resistor chart. If you use one of Tim's accent LEDs, that is on there too.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

ok, so i checked out the chart. for a green K2 and 4 AA batteries it would require a 1.5ohm 5w resister. is this correct?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yup. Your accent LED will also need a resistor. If you aren't using one of Tim's, there are a lot of online resistor calculators that do the job fine. Here's the one I use.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

1.)I would recommend a Lux III for your first build, since they are the easiest to work with. The green Lux III is plenty bright, don't let the numbers fool you.
    2.)See first response.
    3.) One 1000mA buckpuck for a green Lux III is the best option on a budget. If you are dead set on a K2, two 700mA buckpucks wired in parallel would probably be your best bet. That 100mA difference won't be very noticeable in the actual brightness.

ill keep the option open for the lux 3 and the buckpuck.

but just for a general question. would my indicator light have to be on its own poer line before the resistor for the lux or K2?