Thread: Is this good to start?

Default Is this good to start?

Ok so I'm new to saber building. I've built a few "for show" hilts with no electronics before but nothing major. Last night I ordered the dark apprentice from ultra sabers. it's one of the E series plastic sabers. Now i plan on building a complete custom saber sometime soon, and i was wondering if this saber i ordered is something good to start with? are the parts in this saber good enough to use in a really nice tricked out saber?

thanks for anyones reply, I mainly just wanted to jump into the community and say hello to everyone and hope I can make some good friends here

i have no personal experience with ultrasabers, but ive heard you really cant mod them to have sound and stuff like that

Ultrasabers are good for looks and durability. It's very difficult to mod them to have sound or other things like crystal chambers. Good cheap sabers for dueling though. Their blades look more silver-ish due to the internal wrap, but they light up pretty well.

If you want a tricked out hilt/saber, you're much better off going sink tube or MHS or a combination of the two. Oh and get a Dremel tool
    LOCKHEED

ok, cool. so i cant take out the LED and such?

and i already own a dremel ^_^ those things are freaken awesome!!

I'm not sure about the construction of the Ultra Sabers, but I don't see why you couldn't disassemble it.

The thing is if you are wanting to make a custom saber you are better off just buying the parts from the store here and adding stuff you can find on the internet or at stores.

The parts you would use in your custom saber are the cheap parts of it. LEDs/batteries and the blade are about all you would keep from the Ultra Saber to use on your custom one and those are cheap.

LEDs are like 8$
    Batteries vary but are cheap also
    and Blades are fairly cheap but salvaging it might not be a bad idea.

I recommend you look at the MHS parts and the Lux Kits and then do some research on the forums for what else you might want to add. Then go to Home depot or Lowes to get a sink tube, or order one from here and dremel the night away. You will be more pleased with the results and feel like you accomplished more than if you just try to remake the Ultra Saber.

Yeah I've been doing alot of research the past couple of hours. I think im going to order some of the MHS parts, and put that together with a sink tube that i'll dremel. I was looking at the ultra soundboard kit for $158 but i think for my first custom saber i might go with a hasbro for sound, since its my first saber, if i mess anything up it isnt that big of a cost. thank for all of your advice, hopefully I'll have uploaded pics of my first saber build within the next month. ^_^

You can disassemble an UltraSaber. Reassembly takes much patience though, especially with the stunt hilts. So yes, you can change the LED. For the stunts, I don't think you can go from Lux III to Lux V due to size restraints (can't get batteries in for that), but going from Lux III to K2 is feasible, you will just loose run-time. The PVC hilts are significantly more moddable than the stunts, since they have much more open space inside.

Also keep in mind that the red spectrum Lux IIIs use different voltages than the rest of them, so that could factor into modding as well.

Like the others said though, MHS is the way to go for moddability...doesn't get much easier than that.