Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An idea about sound in the blade?

Well, I have a set of those claws, and they are less than 1/4" wide, so I don't know where you would have space to mount a "small tone speaker".

I've experiemented with drilling small holes directly beneath the LED's heatsink, and as Novastar said it does bring a small amount of the sound back up towards the front of the saber, but it still doesn't sound like the blade is actually making the sound.

Honestly though, my sabers are usually moving around too quickly for my brain to pinpoint from where exactly the sound is emanating. It's simple enough for me to think "hey, that saber is making sound"

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    Well, I have a set of those claws, and they are less than 1/4" wide, so I don't know where you would have space to mount a "small tone speaker".
    I meant using something like the claws, but thanks for noting that! And as for a small speaker, I was thinking something like the teeny lil machine used to make that irritating ding ding noise when the car door is open. But I don't know what exact model we could get around 1/4". Like I said, it's a hair-brained idea to begin with, but the thought's taking seed and now I'm curious.
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!

Talking

My first idea when I read it was to simply place the speaker on the side of the blade. Above the emitter, but still in the hilt. This would probably mean a little bit o bulk on the emitter, but do you do?

This could furthermore lead to som nice sound-bouncing inte the blade.
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

Several people with proven experience have said their peace here (including myself)...

I will only finally say that "proof of concept" attempts would be in your best interests!!! ("your" meaning = whoever is going to try this crazy stuff) In other words--don't start by building the thing with all the expensive parts... or even with saber parts. Start by building some "mock ups" that closely simulate what the end result will be.

At that point... the truth will be revealed to you, and you can choose to go for the "true, fully functional experiment", or take your proof-of-concept prototype and say to yourself... "Well... I'm glad I didn't spend the BIG money on this"!!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Several people with proven experience have said their peace here (including myself)...

I will only finally say that "proof of concept" attempts would be in your best interests!!! ("your" meaning = whoever is going to try this crazy stuff) In other words--don't start by building the thing with all the expensive parts... or even with saber parts. Start by building some "mock ups" that closely simulate what the end result will be.

At that point... the truth will be revealed to you, and you can choose to go for the "true, fully functional experiment", or take your proof-of-concept prototype and say to yourself... "Well... I'm glad I didn't spend the BIG money on this"!!!
    Cheers to /that/! The economy isn't doing so well I'd actually experiment on a proper piece of equipment without a /right/ good reason!
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!