Thread: Powdercoating knives?

Default Powdercoating knives?

Just a curious thought, Has anyone tried powder coating knives to see if they can still hold an edge?

You can powder coat the blade, but the edge will still need to be honed, leaving it uncoated.

Also, powder coating is not nearly as resilient as parkerizing or some other treatments given to knife blades. However, if the blade is only for light use, powder coating would be an acceptable and aesthetic treatment.

aren't the knives that the army uses with the black blades powder coated?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRoop View Post
    aren't the knives that the army uses with the black blades powder coated?
    As the proud owner of a M7 Bayonet, let me say this:

You will rarely find a better utilitarian blade for hack, slashing, and stabbing your way through vegetation, wood, flesh, carpet, and various assundry other thing (you can find ones that do one or another better, but few that will do all of the above, and none better, IMHO). The steel is incredible and full-tang, the components fitted to stay longer than the wielder. And I've seen it go months of hard use between honing.

That powder coat gets messed up by pulling it from the sheath.

It's good stuff, but it does, eventually, just fail. Give it a few generations and my great great great grandkids are gonna wonder why my father's generation had shiny blades.

But I say it adds character
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!

I'll keep that in mind but the whole reason I asked was because I was considering forging a sword with a tang diameter to match MHS parts, then a quick powder coat of the blade to give it color, and voila! A functional MHS saber.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The black coatings are usually a black oxide or teflon type coating. PC would be alright aesthetically, but wouldn't stand well to real use for a blade.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Chances are that a sword like that would wind up a display piece anyway. If I really wanted a colored blade like that to be functional I'd probably stick with electroplating.