Thread: Machining holes post coating?

Default Machining holes post coating?

Does anyone know if Machining holes post coating damages the surrounding PC? I'm thinking about machining vents into a powder coated piece, but I won't if it might damage surrounding coating.

How can we be expected to think outside the box when we work in one?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

It won't. I drilled a hole in PC a few weeks ago with no ill effects.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

From my limited understanding, powder coating binds the color at a near-molecular level, resulting in a coating that is much stronger and more durable than say simple painting.
    Last edited by cannibal869; 01-03-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    LOCKHEED

The key to successful machining of powder coated parts is sharp tools. Also don't try to cut/drill too fast.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

technically there will not be a problem if you are careful. You will, however have silver (aluminum) colored holes in your black PC'd part.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    technically there will not be a problem if you are careful. You will, however have silver (aluminum) colored holes in your black PC'd part.
    For LED holes or "windows," etc (as in the original post), I could see this being a good consideration.

If it was a threaded hole that had been PC'ed after drilling and tapping, I think I'd end up with the same thing, though, as I'd probably run a tap through there to clear out the threads... I wouldn't want to chance the screw breaking tiny bits loose and dropping them into the saber hilt or even binding on a thicker portion. Am I still thinking too "paint"-like?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

A screw hole does not matter because you will have a screw in it. Just re-tap any screw holes and you are golden. (and yes, you are thinking "paint" too much)
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

As said above, it works fine, just go slow and use sharp bits. I drilled a good amount of sound holes in a hilt piece Tim PC'd for me and it went very well. I made sure the bit was sharp and didn't 'walk' anywhere while drilling
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

if you do it yourself, make sure you bake it properly.

I gotta ask.. why bring up a thread that is almost a month old just to say that? hes asking about machinging..not PC'ing

having a bored day? getting the old postcount a ++?