Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Default Is it possible?

There are some things I have thought would be interesting or useful, in the areas of lightsabers, if they could possibly be accomplished.

Do plasma sabers have to be in a glass tube? I have never seen one in person, so I was wondering if they get really hot so you can't do them in plastic tubes instead of glass? If a duelable plasma saber was ever made, it would certainly become quite popular. I know I would want one!

Is it possible to wire up some kind of circut just in front of a normal push on/off switch so that when you turn the saber on it sort of fades in(quickly)till it gets to full brightness? That would be a cool effect.

Also, since hasbro sabers are phasing out and will become increasingly hard to find as a source of sound fx, will it be possible to build some type of soundboard? And if so, we could give them nice realistic power-up, power-down, hum, and clash sounds. a clash sensor couldn't be too hard to build. Also if we could get a motion sensor like they use here http://www.futurehorizons.net/saber.htm with a better sounding hum, it would be awesome. Or maybie we could get them to sell just the sensor...

anyway just some things I've been pondering, hoping somone knowledgeable in these areas can shed some light here...

-Luke

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Plasma sabers have to be in something that doesn't easily allow the gas to escape. Nothing can stop it but a really dense object like glass can make the gas stay in for decades. I just suggested recently glassfilled PolyC in the "real lightsaber" thread of the welcome forum. I have no clue if it would work though... So the issue is the gas not heat, it hardly heats up at all.

Is it possible to wire up some kind of circut just in front of a normal push on/off switch so that when you turn the saber on it sort of fades in(quickly)till it gets to full brightness? That would be a cool effect.

If you mean in a plasma saber it can be done... look at www.amazing1.com

There are many people out there doing soundbards, but as of yet none are competative with a Hasbro and probably never will be even against a $20 one. XGundam05 is working on a driver that incorperates sound and an LED driver, alone he can make it at about $10 but in larger numbers he'd be lucky to sell it below $20.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

</center>

actually I was more thinking El in the "fade in" thing...
    also, it seems that futurehorizons is already doing somthing similar to what you suggested, only they charge a fortune for it.[]

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Okay, I see what you mean but why is that kind of fade appealing? It's not a movie thing and I don't think it looks any better...

Either way you can get the up/down with plasma easily.

</center>

couldn't you use plexiglas film in a polycarbonate tube? I don't know much abaout this...its just a thought...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Plexiglass is usually a term used for another plastic, usually acrylic. It wouldn't work.

</center>

Polycarbonate isn't dense enough to prevent the gas from escaping, that's why they don't make flourescent lights out of polycarb, instead, they make polycarb sleeves for the glass bulbs.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Somthing else I forgot to mention... I was thinking about making a waterproof saber. (most likely EL). I think that would look really cool in a pool or lake after dark. The blade couldn't be removable, and you'd have to caulk it with epoxy or silicone. The biggest problem would be how to keep the bottom waterproof and removable for changing the battery...

I was thinking "fade in" because it would look closer to the movie that suddenly flashing on at full brightness.(in my opinion)

You'll find I'm full of suprises. -Luke, ESB, Anakin, AOTC

EL uses AC current, so water = bad.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Waterproof saber? THATS a cool idea... for the blade you just put a lot of silicone and maybe some O-ring and for the bottom you could use O-rings or simply weld it together. (but then you must have some other place to switch batteries) They are waterproof hand-torches, and they usually gots O-rings in the bottom or wereever you open it... so it wouldent (spells how??) be impossible...

... Just think of underwater-lightsaber duels...[]

I'm a fouteen year old swedish teenager...so be patient...