Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's Chrome Saber 9 (MR sound w/ III green)

Default Jay-gon Jinn's Chrome Saber 9 (MR sound w/ III green)

I have some time on my hands and wanted to check out the new parts in the store, so I placed an order so I can build another saber with some chrome accents. I started with this stuff:

What you see there is the new style 13 blade holder, a 2" choke, a fluted hilt section, and an MPS style 7. The electronics are an MR Anakin Skywalker ROTS soundboard, a metal push button switch, a 4-AAA battery holder, an MPS speaker mount v2, and a standard 1" .5 watt 8 ohm speaker. The led is going to be a green Seoul P4.

The led could esily be changed to either a blue P4, or a bin 1 Cyan Lux III.

The chrome tube you see there is going to be used to create some chrome accent pieces.
    I cut the chrome tube into a few pieces on my mitre saw using the metal cut-off wheel. Here's where the first piece is going to go:

That looks good....now to cut one for the switch area.....

I marked it and drilled for the switch hole:

I plan on making a hole large enough to also allow the recessed area around the switch hole visible, and started with the 3/8" bit, then moved up to a 3/4":

I de-burred everything, first with the rotary tool, then by hand with some 400 grit sandpaper:

I test fit it:

Okay, that looks good....

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Nice looking saber Jay-Gon.
    May the Force be with you.

Yeah, I'm liking these new parts! I especially like the blade holder and pommel....

I got everything deburred, and did a test fit of the hilt pieces:

The chrome piece near the pommel will have to be held in place by some epoxy adhesive because of the pommel threads in that section of the hilt.

I wired up the electronics:

And test fired it:

Cool....now I can start assembly:

I drilled and tapped a hole for an 8-32 button-head screw directly opposite the switch to help hold the chrome piece in place....I didn't want to make a mess with the epoxy here with having some of the hilt exposed. It wasn't a problem on the pommel end because of the chrome piece being right at the end of the hilt.

I installed the rest of the hilt components:

And made sure it still worked:

Wow, that's bright! I like the shade, too....it's a bin 4. Now to decide if I want to use a thumbscrew or the set-screw:

It's drilled and tapped for 10-32 threads, so it can use either one....I think i like the looks of the set screw....
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 03-12-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Have you tried an aluminum thumb screw to see how it would look?
    May the Force be with you.

I don't have an aluminum thumbscrew to try it...I do have a brass one though....anyway, I drilled an tapped for the CT wheel:

It's kind of offset on the side of the hilt there, because there isn't much material inside the fluted grooves to drill and tap. This might make it easier to cross-draw or even right-hand draw the saber from a belt.

I also went over itwith my polishing cloth, and shined it up a bit:

I just need to hone out the blade socket and assemble the UltraEdge blade then I'll take some "beauty" shots of it tomorrow, and maybe make a short video, too.

Hey, nice Jay! I really like what you did with the chrome tube. It makes the saber look newly constructed. Good work!

Winning the fight isn't everything. It's the only thing, and you have two options- TapouT or PassouT.
    Official Saber Concepts Saber Designer

nice i love it great use of the new parts
    ...YUP!

Thanks guys! I had intended the look of this one to be of an older, almost KOTOR-Era look to it....I think it works for that!

I got the blade socket all honed-out and popped in my UltraEdge test blade:

Overall, I think it turned out pretty well....I'll take some better pics of it tomorrow!

Very sharp Jay, I do like the look of the new parts you used.

The blade is really nice and evenly lit, what is an UltraEdge blade? I'm not familiar with it...

*Scratch that, just saw a discussion about them in another thread
    Last edited by strengthofrage; 01-25-2009 at 07:16 AM.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Council Member
    Jedi Master

that is awesome Jay,great use of the new parts.
    Totally diggin on the crome accents. I say stick with the set screw it keeps the lines clean.