Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Random lightsaber ranting and thoughts

The only thing about the "real" lightsaber is stopping the emission of the positrons so you have a finite blade.

Also, the thing about the clash sensor at the end is that you'd have to have a wire and the sensor itself running inside/outside the blade. You could not remove the blade without fumbling with wires and it would not look realistic. You do not need to hit the hilt for the clash to register; if your sensor is sensitive enough, it will pick up the vibrations from a blade hit. Go try it. Even MR's will do it. I don't think anything needs to be changed in this hobby currently. We have all we need to make incredible sabers that are IMO better-functioning and in some cases, better looking than the Master Replicas. I know they were just ideas and I apologize if I seem nitpicky or rude. I just finished my saber finally, so I guess I am just like "No! Nothing can change! I'm done!" But, honestly things work beautifully now.
    Alderaan shot first.

Quote Originally Posted by Phiily Manyaan View Post
    The only thing about the "real" lightsaber is stopping the emission of the positrons so you have a finite blade.
    It would arc back into the hilt like electrons arc from one electrode of a stungun to the other. Another problem would be to make it arc so radically so it's MOSTLY away from the sending and receiving parts. Perhaps a gyroscopic spin could be introduced to the positrons. Be hell to spin, though, unless two arcs were to spin in opposite directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    lighting it up would be hard to do, seeing as light travels in a straight line.
    Good thing they make side-firing fiber optic cables, then! The larger stumbling block is that you'd have to make a curved polycarbonate tube, which I suppose can be done, but I bet it would be a PITA.

Also, a scimitar works because the end is heavier than the forte, which gives it a speed boost due to centrifugal force. But putting weights into a saber just seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    Tim sells makototsai's LED - they're what make all the difference. The construction itself is ridiculously easy - I've done it many times.
    BTW, if you could please?
    What's the name of the component? A link to it on the store's site?
    Thanks.

The biggest issue with the actual electron saber is where are you going to find a power source that could power something like that?
    The only thing that comes to mind are nuclear fusion reactors; a technology still in it's prototype phase.

-sigh- Someday...
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post
    The biggest issue with the actual electron saber is where are you going to find a power source that could power something like that?
    The only thing that comes to mind are nuclear fusion reactors; a technology still in it's prototype phase.

-sigh- Someday...
    In my theory, the positrons that make up the blade would cause the light and hum of a real lightsaber due to the shearing effect on the atoms in the air it contacts while active. The energy released when the positrons make contact with the electrons could be used to keep the power charged and a backup ignition at the ready at the same time. In short, the ignition source activates the blade, and the blade keeps the energy requirements constant for it's use. Using it charges it.

Default Electrons

Electrons have energy. I have been looking at this concept but am still figuring out how I would do the electron source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmp1c...&max-results=8

(Note: Video in no way implies anyone is a dummy)

Quote Originally Posted by swear000 View Post
    Electrons have energy. I have been looking at this concept but am still figuring out how I would do the electron source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmp1c...&max-results=8

(Note: Video in no way implies anyone is a dummy)

Cool video. Perhaps coupling that with a Tesla coil to fire electrons toward the center?
    However, the lightsaber blade cannot be made of electrons. All forms of matter are made of atoms, which are surrounded by a cloud of electrons that are negatively charged. If the blade were made of this (controlled lightning), it would repel like charges (another blade), but also repel all other forms of matter. Like charges repel each other.
    Positrons are positively charged. They would shear through all forms of matter, except another positron blade.
    I'm hoping that a controlled stream of positrons can be influenced in some manner (Magnetic fields or gyroscopic spin) to make the positron blade work correctly and controllably.
    But, like you, I wonder where to get a reliable stream of positrons to start the process....

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

"Makototsai LEDs - Direct from Makoto himself"

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pr...?ProductId=357

How to assemble your LED string:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13487.0

Default Topic

I started a thread on this topic over here too:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6135

If you didn't get a chance to read it already. It is where I will post developments on the project as I find them. It will be a long slow process I am afraid because the confined space and limitations on power will need to be overcome but I always welcome comments, suggestions, and ideas.