Thread: Joe Jedi LED Issues

Default Joe Jedi LED Issues

First off, if this is covered, I tried to find it but the link would be just as welcome as an answer.

I've not tweaked my SW 616 since I got it last year but I've noticed it's gotten /very/ dim–nearly half the strength of other Joes I've come across. It's not the batteries–I switched packs with a brighter Joe and there was no change, the other was still about twice the power.

Someone mentioned it might be dirty–which is possible. I'd have to clean it out.

My other concern is a fault with the LEDs, could they just be dying? That would be unfortunate.

Help be Obi Wan Kenobi, you're this saber's only hope!

It could be the LED, yes. Especially if you swap your battery pack with someone else's and the symptom doesn't "follow along" to your pal's saber.

If you still have a receipt, take it back? If not and/or it's a large amount of trouble... I say just start the process of learning about repairing/replacing things on there... and possibly making it better in the long run--you never know.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Is your 616 stock, or are the guts in a custom saber?

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Is your 616 stock, or are the guts in a custom saber?
    Absolutely stock. The little greebly cover bits they give you have been re-colored, but noting on the actually inner body has been touched. Looks like that may have to change as I can't get another saber before Comic Con / Wicked Faire, and this needs to functional.
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!

You might need to clean the contacts on the battery pack as well as where it connects to the saber. this could cause dimming.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
    Witty Quote

Spoon fEeD A nOOb

Quote Originally Posted by virus692 View Post
    You might need to clean the contacts on the battery pack as well as where it connects to the saber. this could cause dimming.
    Not bad ideas–seems the universal reply is "Clean it!" in one way or another. I'll try this now as I'd like to avoid taking it apart as much as possible untill after NYCC and Wicked.

EDIT: Holy Carped Diem, It helped a LOT! It's still not up to spec, but it's better! It no longer looks like I gave the base of the blade a light dusting of reflective paint XD Now I'll have to decide whether or not to open the thing up and clean of the LEDs...

Awesome tip Virus, don't know why something that obvious never occurred to me (Because I'm daft as a brush, that's why).
    Last edited by Anavrin; 01-14-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    It could be the LED, yes. Especially if you swap your battery pack with someone else's and the symptom doesn't "follow along" to your pal's saber.

If you still have a receipt, take it back? If not and/or it's a large amount of trouble... I say just start the process of learning about repairing/replacing things on there... and possibly making it better in the long run--you never know.
    Virus' suggestion seems to have cleared this up–mostly. I unfortunately bought this off the internets so no return via eBay. And I'm going to save taking apart my one performance saber until after NYCC and Wicked if I can. I'm still gonna look up the tutorial on dismantling this thing–I want to do that eventually anyway.