Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
    Nah; Star Trek usually keeps with canon, even to the point that it bends over backwards just to explain things.
    With the notable exception of Enterprise, I'd agree. We'll have to wait to see what damage JJ does to the continuity.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Lupus View Post
    With the notable exception of Enterprise, I'd agree. We'll have to wait to see what damage JJ does to the continuity.
    WARNING: THREAD DERAILMENT IMMINENT.

Actually, Enterprise was the biggest example of complications due to canon, especially with the two-part episode that existed just to explain why some Klingons had smooth heads in the original series.

As for JJ's reboot, basically the plot (supposedy) is that the Romulans try to go back in time to kill Kirk's father & mother so that Kirk isn't born (Terminator-style), and then the Next Generation-era Spock (played by Leonard Nimoy himself) goes back in time to stop them. After that, of course, the timeline is altered, so the Original Series characters are the same people, but the stories can be different.
    I actually like the idea a lot. It acknowledges pre-existing canon while allowing for new stories to be told with the same characters. Now we can actually wonder what'll happen to the characters, since there's no Next Generation in this new timeline.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

Basically, the new movie is in a parrelel universe, as is Enterprise from the Xindi attack onwards.

Enterprise screwed up by having Archer meet the Ferengi... The Ferengi and Humans never encountered until Picard's day, in fact, he made first contact with them.

The Borg, Enterprise can get away with that, and they did it quite well.

The entire Xindi thing was just... bah. The Klingon thing was explained in DS9, although not in great detail.

Oh, and Enterprise somehow had Quonos within 3 or 4 days at warp five.... completley wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Starkiller View Post
    Oh, and Enterprise somehow had Quonos within 3 or 4 days at warp five.... completley wrong.
    According to the star maps book, there's a wormhole/some other type of space highway-type thing that lets them get to Quo'nos faster.

I don't think JJ's film takes place exactly in an alternate timeline, but rather an updated version of the new timeline.
    I'll be excited to see if they ever decide to explore the TNG era again someday in this new re-imagined Trek. Can't wait to see what the new Enterprise-D would look like.

You know, I can't decide whether or not to be excited for the new Star Trek film. While I'm a big fan of J.J. Abram's work, I'm tired of Star Trek constantly relying on time travel as a plot device. I really wish they'd come up with something new. I mean come on, they've used it in, what, 3 out of the 10 movies and countless TV episodes?

For years now I've felt it should be called TIME Trek. Very little of it seems to have anything to do with "space, the final frontier" anymore.
    Meanwhile... in another part of the galaxy, later that same day...

http://voya.deviantart.com/gallery/

I remember back when JJ started on this. He and his team promised that there would be no time travel.

Nero comes from post Nemesis and creates an alternate timeline, they're using quantum phisycs rather than the grandfather paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthTratz View Post
    I really wish they'd come up with something new.
    Well, that's the whole idea. They're altering the timeline so that they can tell new stories, rather than being forced to follow the events of the previous series/movies.

Heck, TNG and Generations practically laid out the end for the Original Crew, so this is a much better alternative.

(and time travel stories, when done right, are some of the best Trek stories ever [First Contact, "Timeless," etc.])

Star Trek...lol...I have know idea what you guys are talking about anymore. Maybe I should broaden my movie horizons, but being a star wars geek is bad enough. I did like Voyager though, especially 7of9...grrrr The new movie does look good, and I haven't seen a star trek movie in the theater since Star Trek :the Motion Picture when I was 4. Man I was 4, that explains why I didn't remember the bald chick for the longest time

Quote Originally Posted by Titoshi View Post
    Star Trek...lol...I have know idea what you guys are talking about anymore. Maybe I should broaden my movie horizons, but being a star wars geek is bad enough. I did like Voyager though, especially 7of9...grrrr The new movie does look good, and I haven't seen a star trek movie in the theater since Star Trek :the Motion Picture when I was 4. Man I was 4, that explains why I didn't remember the bald chick for the longest time
    If you wanna watch Trek films, watch 2, 3, 4, 6, and First Contact. Skip the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
    Well, that's the whole idea. They're altering the timeline so that they can tell new stories, rather than being forced to follow the events of the previous series/movies.

Heck, TNG and Generations practically laid out the end for the Original Crew, so this is a much better alternative.

(and time travel stories, when done right, are some of the best Trek stories ever [First Contact, "Timeless," etc.])
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think some of the best Trek dealt with time travel but let's be honest, even by First Contact, time travel was well overused as a plot device. As a matter of fact, that was my biggest problem with First Contact. Star Trek had suddenly abandoned the concept of "exploring new worlds" and became The Terminator.
    Last edited by DarthTratz; 01-16-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Meanwhile... in another part of the galaxy, later that same day...

http://voya.deviantart.com/gallery/