Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Modular Blaster System

Default Modular Blaster System

...I don't know if it has ever been suggested or not, but I thought it might be cool to devise some sort of MBS, or Modular Blaster System. Like the MHS, but for blasters, blaster rifles, etc. There would be things like different grips/handles, barrels, scopes, stocks, bodies, magazines, sights, and whatnot. The only problem I see is cost especially when it comes to the main body of the gun. But it is a cool idea I think.
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 01-17-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Alderaan shot first.

While a cool idea, I think this would be a real nightmare to pull off.
    While with lightsabres there is a commonality among them in being cylinders of a general diameter, blasters wouldn't really have that much in common to make interchangeable parts as easy to do. That's not counting the added issue with the part manufacture.
    I'd love to see something like that pulled off though.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Neat idea in concept, bu like you intimated, the cost would be incredibly prohibitive.

The current MHS parts are chucked on a lathe and everything attaches with threads, so the work is comparatively simple. The MBS as you propose would require every part that isn't tubular to be milled, which becomes incredibly expensive, incredibly fast. Production would have to be ramped up to amortize the costs, and from there we're back in college economics principles with market demand, etc.

**Edit** Looks like Sunrider beat me to it ; )

While a nifty idea, It would be very costly, and some areas of the world would have problems getting the things shipped.

It's one thing when Customs inspects a package because they see metal pipes and wires, but what happens when they start seeing frames tat look like they are built for firearms.

Plus weight, and shipping would be a nightmare on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Morbius View Post
    While a nifty idea, It would be very costly, and some areas of the world would have problems getting the things shipped.

It's one thing when Customs inspects a package because they see metal pipes and wires, but what happens when they start seeing frames tat look like they are built for firearms.
    I'll be honest, I didn't even think of that. But yes, production would be difficult/expensive.

Perhaps if Hasbro did a plastic version, that would even be cool.
    Alderaan shot first.

If people weren't terribly putt off by the idea, I'd even suggest just flat have the pieces molded from a rigid high-metal ABS and resin. And yeah, you could absolutely go modular–the points of connection would just have to be mate-able. Heck, look at any AR-15/M-16/M-4 build–you can refit that platform with so many different configurations that two guns essentially the same can look nearly nothing alike. The same goes for the airsoft versions and heck, any decent paintball gun, for that matter! It's totally doable, but the price would become obscene.

As a note, Paintball Markers can be incredibly awesome blasters. Look up the Tiberius 8, as an example–schmexy.
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!

Default Musta

You can also do some really good blasters with wood and PVC.

Default Mbs

Ok guys, I aplogize if this topic has been started before, and if need be, remove it. But I was thinking it would be cool if we had a MBS "Modular Blaster System." This is in no way implying that we should have a real MBS made, this is just for fun.
    Last edited by Lord Preston; 01-17-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Caps.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Preston\My Documents\My PicturesThe cake is a lie.
    Official TCSS Noob welcomer.

Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?

LOL, that would be cool but I can't even wrap my brain around how that could be done.

But I do agree how how it would be to ship parts. I mean, some people have an issue with seeing a tube with a blade coming out of it, plus my teacher had an issue at the airport, because she had had an apple in her suticase, but for some reason they deemed her apple as a grenade, so I can't imagine how hard it would be to ship something that looks like a gun.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Preston\My Documents\My PicturesThe cake is a lie.
    Official TCSS Noob welcomer.

Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?