Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stormtrooper/Kamino-ish saber progress thread

Youngling

Default Stormtrooper/Kamino-ish saber progress thread

Hi

I've not made a MHS saber before, not having come up with something that I really really liked...

...until now

This is still in the ideas stage, after having a good play with the MHS builder, so I thought I'd share as it went along.

It's a long, white and black saber (I really liked the feel of the converted FX double Maul I used to own with 1 blade on) with a look influenced by the McQuarrie Stormtrooper concept sketch saber and also intended to have a bit of a Kamino flavour (where the people are also long).

I have 2 versions of it here, I'm leaning towards the one with T-grips. I'm thinking of ways to add to the one without the grips, maybe just a couple of flat black grooves to break it up, not sure. I'm thinking blue blade at the mo.

Any suggestions very much appreciated. I'd also like also to think of a name for it, so suggestions welcome there, too.

I'm just waiting on the pommel to be back in stock next week and to finalise what I need to get.

i like the first one, but then, im a big fan of simple hilts (makes it easier to grab 2 handed)

but i think a blue blade would definately look top notch with the white hilt

Youngling

The T-grips can be a bit uncomfortable. I was thinking of the possiblity of cutting them down a bit, to be closer to the the sort of thing on the Anakin AOTC saber.

I think I'll sleep on it...

You could always try using the new fluted section Tim's got =)

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

I like it.
    What I would do for the grip is have a few machined grooves in, oh so shallow, and a light powdercoat of blue or black would be pretty sweet.
    As for a color, I recommend this setup of P4 White + LEE filter #704 "Lily"
    Just note that it's apparently somewhat faint under well lit conditions.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Hey I know That pic. Somewhat faint is an understatement. Under "normal" lighting conditions filtered whites are very faint.
    I like the first one. The grips look a wee bit odd to me on this one.
    Last edited by Master Dru-Er; 01-08-2009 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Oh yea the saber....
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~

Youngling

Cheers guys.

Gundamaniac - I thought of the fluted section with some Mace-style grips, I think that'd look good in B+W, but it'd mean a fair overhaul of the hilt - ditching the 2" section where the activation button is to keep it from being ridiculously long and going with the button placement on the fluted part and finding something to use for the grip pieces, if I went with that idea. I'll certainly give it some more thought, i'll be making my mind up over the next few days.

Eco - if I go with the first one, I think some regular grooves to make it a grip piece. If did this, I'd probably stick with having the piece PC white and paint in the grooves black. the P4 and filter look great in the pic, although I wouldn't want to sacrifice the brightness - maybe if I can upgrade to one of XWing's tri-rebel set ups that'd be worth considering. I also like the idea of purple with the white.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

great design. If i can offer suggestion, try the soft curved choke. Since the Kaminoans are slender and graceful, it might help convey that.

And I like the grips.

I agree with the softer curved one. I choose style 2, but with the AOTC grips as I find the Luke/Vader ones too uncomfortable.

Anyone know where to grab some? I need some for two i'm tweaking.

Seth, u wanna combine shipping if u go for the AOTC's?
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There used to be a place I knew of that carried them, which I can't remember, but he stopped carrying them a couple years ago.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!