Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: P4 Lum?

I suppose another question to ask would be if you at any point hooked up the LED to hot wires without a resistor. It's possible that it could have burnt out the LED.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Ok, so optics = check!

Another thing that should have been posted would be the voltage being used and "mAh" rating of the cells.

If you're wired up for 3v with AAA cells... I guarantee that ain't going to cut it for a P4.

If you're wired up for 4.5v with a tiny resistor... now that might be more like it. Even so--with AAA cells... they could be so weak, that attempting to draw 1A (or a bit more) is just not possible.

If possible... meter into the circuit to test/read the current (mA or A). It would be ideal to see ~1000mA (1A) dancing around in there. ~800 would be ok, and anything less would be a substantial bummer.

STILL not knowing what is happening: I would recommend AA cells, or simply a single 18650 3.7v Li-Ion cell.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Took the resistor out and wired it up to 4 AAA direct. I have no meter but should be 6v. I think it just might be a dud.

6v direct will destroy a P4, as the forward voltage of a P4 (along with things like Lux IIIs, Lux K2s) is around ~4v.

4.5v is probably the maximum you'd want to give it, 5v would be pushing things pretty far... and 6v will just kill it.

My guess is... it wasn't a dud--you may have burnt it. It happens. No big deal.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

It was dimmer before with the resistor on it. I then wired it directly and it is a bit brighter. Maybe the resistor value was wrong to begin with. What should it be for the p4s?

I have also ran my lux3s directly with no problems. Who knows maybe I did. I ordered another one from the store and I'll see.

I just realized and maybe this is a bad thing... i did change all of my other sabers that are running with Lux3s to be wired direct without the resistors. I have had no problems. Probably shouldn't do that though huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbret50 View Post
    It was dimmer before with the resistor on it. I then wired it directly and it is a bit brighter. Maybe the resistor value was wrong to begin with. What should it be for the p4s?
    Same as a luxeon III. The target ma is 1000. Here's the chart:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/resistor.aspx

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

For people "going direct" without a resistor... you *MUST* match the battery voltage (very closely) to the LED forward voltage.

Otherwise--direct driving can cause a "cascade of current" and things can get dangerous (especially if you are NOT using Li-Ion cells with a PCB).

DO NOT do this if you do not know what you're doing, people. This goes for anyone reading, not just the thread posters.

Hey Guys,

(Disclaimer) This is my newbie post. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Is there a difference in which collimator you use with the Seoul P4, I'm looking into one for my first saber and I want to make sure I'm getting the max brightness. It will be for a 1" blade.

What about the wall thickness of the blade and length, those also play a part in brightness, anyway a 5 degree lux III is what you are looking for.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)