Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Pack Making

Default Battery Pack Making

I have some 1.2V 1200mah AAA batteries coming and I'm planning on makeing one of them nice compact barrel rolls.

I just wanted to verify that this is the correct way to wire them up to get 8.4V 1200mah

Thanks in advance.

I'll prolly do it this way so I can keep the wires nice and short.

That's it, Jase--you've hit it on the head. Although Eandori would be the best man to double/triple check with on that.

You can always meter it too, heheh!

I like your second pic too--that DOES really clean up the wiring.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

That needs to be stickied or put in the wiring diagrams forum! Nice pic!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Would pictures of one help? I have one sitting here I made.

Tips:
    1) I glue them together in 2, 3, and 2 setup before gluing the full seven. I use super glue gel.
    2) Then I take solid core wire and strip a few inches. This is what I use to connect individual cells.
    3) Scratch the tops of cells. Sandpaper, files, etc... you want to give the solder something to grab to.
    4) Solder flux. It makes the whole ordeal so much easier. The batteries and wire are going to leach away heat from your iron and the paste helps lower the temperature needed.
    5) Once all done use epoxy. This keeps the soldering from coming undone and as a plus will insulate the end from the walls of the hilt. I used to not do this until shipping beat the crap out of a saber to the point I needed this.

Good luck!
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I moved this to wiring diagrams, and it will go into the next Thread Index update for sure

Back on topic, those diagrams look great. Here is Xwing's battery pack tutorial to go along with his post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSp9h...e=channel_page
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

1200mah AAA? May I ask where you got those?

Also, what is your charging solution for this pack? Eandori's the expert on this, so much so that I'm seriously contemplating getting a complete setup from him.

'Would be nice to get some 1200mah though, instead of the 900mahs I have on hand...

A note about soldering onto batteries:

The sides of the batteries are grounded. This is important to know in case a tiny droplet of solder gets away from you and connects the positive terminal to the side.

This happened to me (of course) and I am supremely lucky I still have use of my eyes as I was an absolute idiot and was soldering battery packs A) with no goggles on and B) in the middle of the desert at least two or three hours from a hospital by airlift. Had I not blinked at the right time things could have gotten VERY interesting.

Don't be like uncle Ghostbat kiddies, wear goggles, and if the battery pack gets really really hot then put it down and back away.

Now you know, etc etc etc GI Joe.

Some things to think about, I've been having some problems with this already.
    I got the batterys and used hot glue instead of super glue... DONT

The problem I've had with the hot glue is that it goes on thick and no matter how lightly you apply it and rush to put the batterys together you end up adding an extra millimeter or so and by the time your finnished you can't fit it in the hilt.

I'm using a dble female with milled slots section so the inside is just a tad smaller(?) and I have to pull the batteries apart and super glue them so the sizing works right. When I put them in the front end fit perfect then the back end jammed, my bad glue job!

This also leads to another problem I tore off some of the plastic shrink wrap on the batteries while inserting them in the hilt and now the outside of the battery will make contact with the metal hilt.

I'm thinking of stripping all the batteries and spray painting them with acrylic paint then super glueing them. Hopeing that this will insulate(comments/suggestions?) them and make this pack just a tad smaller to fit in the hilt. I'm even hoping to be able to put this on a sled for assembly but just getting it in the hilt will work.

these are the batteries I'm useing---
    http://onlybatteries.com/showitem.as...t1=14&uid=1401

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I would stick with the heatshrink that is on them and just be careful. Seriously... just line them up on a table and super glue them. It's not too hard if you take your time.
    RED LEADER Standing by!