Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strangest LED ever...

Default Strangest LED ever...

Ok, this one I have a feeling NONE of you will ever be able to answer. Myself included.

I have a "little" LED (read: indicator LED... not a Luxeon)... it's some random one that I don't know anything about.

Anyhow. It will light up with 3v alkaline. But a Li-Ion cell (even with a resistor)... will not light it up.

If you put it into an MR setup in order to use it as a little "glowy" LED... it won't work. If you apply 3v alkaline to it directly... it works fine.

Does anyone have anything to say about this?!??! It has to be hands down... the single most frustrating + TOTALLY ILLOGICAL thing I've ever seen. I mean... I'm DEAD F'IN SERIOUS... you guys know me: I'm not messing around. It's simple:

3v alkaline--you do +, you do - ... = lights
    ANYTHING else--you do +, you do - ... even if you SIMULATE 3v by using a resistor... = it doesn't work

It's frustrated me for the past 3 hours, and I'm simply done screwing around with it. It's just an indicator I was going to add to a cheesy MR for God's sake. Geez. LOL! :P

EDIT: OK, WHAT THE BLOODY HECK IS GOING ON?!?!?? The positive current from the MR... is the negative current. Even though my meter reads it in reverse. I mean... it's crazy confusing right now. The Li-Ion cell I still don't understand why it doesn't power this LED. I even checked to see if the PCB was triggered. Holy moses... this is some WEIRD stuff...
    Last edited by Novastar; 01-01-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Why is it always you who finds these things
    Yeah, no idea on this side...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's an accent LED. If it's not working right, pitch it and get a new one... what color is it? I probably already have a ton of them - I'll send you one.

Cosmically speaking - maybe we're not meant to understand this LED. If we were truly ready to understand the mystery that is this LED, then an answer will appear in time...

Is it possible it requires more current than the Li-ion supplies, and that by adding th resistor, you're cutting it too far? Just throwing it out there....I have no other ideas on this one, Nova!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

As far as the reverse polarity on the MR board, Some of the models have different wiring set ups, like the earlier boards where the clash sensor is on a QD in the middle of the board.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

perhaps its midichlorian count is too high....
    Follow Your Bliss

You should drink lots of coffee, then start over. Please post your results...lol.

Nova, thats what happens when you drink too much.... :O
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Default Cursed?!?!

Hmm... this is not a good way to start the new year:

* Indicator LED is wired right... I even metered the MR leads to see +4.xx volts... but it doesn't work unless you REVERSE these

* You may think "ok no big deal"... but with 3v alkaline direct... you have to do it the RIGHT way (!!!)

* In other words--with the MR, you have to cross + and - and it will work. Believe me... I've checked--this is confirmed

* Tested with Li-Ion + resistor to achieve 3v (from the initial 3.6v)... ... ... DRUMROLL!!!!..... Didn't work. WHAT?!?!

* Whatever. It's going under the MR 4.5v pack anyhow. So SCREW all the testing, I saw it working... so now we had 4.5v MR + indicator LED + main Luxeon LED. Works!

* Everything was working for a while...

...for a WHILE...

* Suddenly, main LED stopped working. (!!) Hanh??! I disconnected everything AGAIN to see what the hell was wrong. Loose wires? Hmm, whatever. Re-soldered everything to be certain even though it all looked good.

* Main LED = still no response. Also... suddenly, the indicator LED decided to stop working!! WTF!!! lol... :P

* Who cares about indicator now, removed main Luxeon LED and tested with direct voltage. Didn't work. Ok... magically, it died. I accepted this and moved on--tired of wasting time. (IRONIC)

* Swapped in another LED. Tested with 3v direct--worked. Different color, but here we go...

* Attached it and tested... ... drumroll!!!!!!!: MAIN LED AND INDICATOR LED STILL DO NOT WORK, lmao!

* Removed main Luxeon. Tested. Suddenly... uh... it's dead too.

* With one last amount of determination... tested that little LED indicator with the direct 3v setup again...

WORKS.

(!)

* Doesn't work in the MR though.

* Put down crack pipe. Smashed it. Scraped debris into garbage.

* Poured all cocaine into little baggy and flushed.

* Stared into mirror and blinked 25 times. Pinched self. Slapped face on both sides.

Hmm.

Analysis:

"Hello Novastar. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either. Go to sleep for 12 hours or more, grow your beard a few millimeters and return again when thou hast the balls to try wiring up a "simple" indicator LED again..." LOL!!

hahahahhaha... man. Sometimes you're the bug... sometimes you're the windshield.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Ok, fast forward. <Vacuuming the floor, Plungering toilet> Are you going to continue with your MR indicator bling? I mean just don't buy the cursed ones this time.
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~