Thread: Another new saber builder NEEDS help!!

Default Another new saber builder NEEDS help!!

Hi everyone,

My name is Caine Drathul from the LA Jedi boards. I am the dude who is currently making all of the missing forms of lightsaber combat

And now it's time for me to make my own saber...but it's a whole new ballgame for me. I read Darth Dan's tutorial and how to make a sink tube saber, but it doesn't include how to do it with sound.

I am going to pretty much follow that tutorial, and I am going to add a Vader soundboard. Here are my questions:

1. I am considering having two switches, one for the sound and one for the LED. I am planning on using toggle switches, and I want to know how many amps I need per switch? What amp rating for the LED and what amp rating for the soundboard.

2. If I do a single switch (rocker type) how many amps should that one be rated?

3. What parts exactly do I need for the LED? Should I just go ahead and buy a Luxeon III kit, or can I buy the parts of the kit separately if I only need certain parts?

4. If I have the switch on the endcap, what is the best way to make sure the sound comes out? and...do I need a different speaker?

5. As far as a battery pack, what type will I need to power this saber?

I know...lots of questions that people have probably asked tons of times...but like so many others, this is all greek to me.

Thanks everyone.

Wink

This thread may help a little bit as far as basic wiring and theory...best part is that for this particular board and design, you only need one switch for everything.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=2239

many people here will probably tell you to do a search and it is indeed useful (though probably not immediately gratifying). Search many different threads, particularly those in the wiring and sound subforums.

I've slowly learned that there are many ways to wire things up and achieve the same or different results. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Good luck and MTFBWY

Hi Caine,

I recommend the LuxIII kit from the TCSS store here. It comes with all the electronics you need and will really simplify the LED/power portion of the saber. MHS solves the hilt problem, and for sound...I'd read the tutorials here in the Forum.

'Good to see you here on TCSS:F. I'm also on LAJedi. I'll be at practice next Tuesday and Thursday, and can answer any questions in person if you can make it to the park.
    Last edited by Goodman; 12-24-2008 at 02:33 AM.

Cool, thanks for the help....and I wish I would be able to make it to class...but living 300 miles away makes that kinda tough

I did visit once in Nov, though.

Thanks again.