Thread: help on sound cards

Default help on sound cards

i want to get a cheap, but nice sound card for my saber. but i dont know what to get. i was thinking a out this.

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/pro...;pcid1=;pcid2=

what do you think? or if you dont mind tell me what you think would be a good one.
    THANKS!

Well, that would be a BAD saber to buy for a soundcard. Mainly because it doesn't have a soundcard in it.

Those are the cheapest of the replica sabers. They extend and light up (kinda) but don't have sound.

The cheapest soundboard you are gonna find is in the $20 (or so depending on sales) Hasbro sabers. With these though you get what you pay for, the sound is pretty stinky.

Personally I would spend an extra 10 bucks or so and get the Clone Wars Ultimate Saber kit. The one that comes with all the different hilt pieces that you can combine in numerous ways. The sound board that comes in that has 3 different sound fonts to choose from and the sound is a good deal bettter than a normal hasbro, more on line with an MR.

Hope this helps a little
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

lol! oh... woops! ok, well that helps.

ya, ive read about that that was a good one to buy. But ive been woundering if it can work with my luxen led that i have already? will it have enough power to run it brightly?

No it won't power a Lux3 very well at all. There are ways around that though.

I have one sitting in front of me right now. What I'm gonna do is leave the existing ring of LED's (look up the pics of this board, and you'll see what I mean) and use those to light up a crystal chamber. Then run a seperate circuit from the same battery pack to power my main LED. It will require 2 switches or 1 DPDT switch, but I've used the setup before and it works nicely. Just make sure you plan your wiring well or you will end up with a bunch of spaghetti in your saber and thats never a good thing.

EDIT:

Heres the thread you want to read if you go with that setup

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6571
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

OK! that helps a little.

will i need a monitary or a latching switch?

you get a buck puck and wire it in with the outs from the hasbro into ctrl and ref that way the hasbro board controls the puck and you get full brightness.

ok, ya i have a 100ma (6 wire) buck puck.

so if i do that i wont have to have the 2 switches like Leximus said?

100 or 1000? a 100 would be 1/10 the power a lux III is rated for, if it's one of tims it's likely a 1000.

The way I'd do it is like this:

get a 4AAA pack and wire it to both the hasbro and the puck, use a momentary for the hasbro, and wire the LED +/- to ctrl/ref on the puck

a second latching switch or a regharge port setup to double as a kill switch is advisable because the puck and I think the hasbro will constantly draw a small amount of current while the batteries are connected.

I don't remember if LED + goes to control or ref someone else might though.

I like the darth vader hasbro with the new clone wars packaging. OK sound, and was easy to wire with a 1000ma puck. I have it in my first saber and i got it at wal-mart for $15.00. It's not a US2.0 or a CF4, but you can't beat it for the money.
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

ya its a 1000ma, that's just a typo.

ok sounds like it wouldn't be that hard. do you know where i would find a picture diagram to help? this will be my first attempt to adding sound to my saber. im just trying to learn everything before starting.