Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 2004 "Feel the Force" Obi-Wan Kenobi Electronic Lightsaber

I just picked up one of these boards and tried to wire it to a single Cree using a pnp tip42c transistor in the same way as described in the " 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/ DVD Tutorial" thread. It seemed to be working until I smelt burning. I quickly powered down and discovered the small transistor on the original board was red hot. Any ideas what I did wrong? image.jpgimage.jpg

What battery voltage are you using?

5ish (I was testing with 4 rechargeable aaa's that were not fully charged)
    Last edited by Esxdave; 05-09-2016 at 11:46 AM.

What I mean by 5 ish is that they started at about 5.2v and dropped off during all the testing with the single Cree on its own to just under 5v by the time I hooked up the soundboard

Quote Originally Posted by Esxdave View Post
    I just picked up one of these boards and tried to wire it to a single Cree using a pnp tip42c transistor in the same way as described in the " 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/ DVD Tutorial" thread. It seemed to be working until I smelt burning. I quickly powered down and discovered the small transistor on the original board was red hot. Any ideas what I did wrong? image.jpgimage.jpg
    Help please! I have tried all sorts but can't work out why this isn't working. I have measured everything in quick burst so as not to burn out the small board mounted transistor and this is what I got.
    Bat = 5v
    Current between Led and 2nd pin (collector) of tip42c = 100mA
    Current between soundboard negative and tip42c 1 leg (base) = 1700mA
    Current between +ve battery and board =50mA
    Current between +ve battery and 3rd (emitter) =1890mA

Any ideas?

Anyone? Pretty please

Quote Originally Posted by Esxdave View Post
    Anyone? Pretty please
    You would need to show a detailed shot of the entire wiring and connections. Is the metal heatsink on the mosfet touching anything metal? It's actually conductive and live. I had to heat shrink mine.

No the transistor is not touching anything as it is all still just on a breadboard while I tested out the wiring. I have wired it up using a diagram from the 2010 Lightsaber with DVD thread image.jpg. Obviously this is not the same board as I'm using the 2004 obi saber from this thread but I assumed it would be the same principle. I'll try to tidy up the wiring and take a picture so it's clear

Here's the wiring as I've done it. The little transistor on the board (the top of the board on the photos) is the one getting red hot and risking burning out.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg