Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Keeping the tip on

I remember the nylon/poly-c screw idea popping up some time ago... and I do believe that would be a darn good idea, and help more than anything else (IMHO). Good idea!

I haven't tried it yet, but... one day if I get enough gumption, time, and a threader/tap that is small enough... I may do just that!!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Am I correct that the tips are acrylic? To bond that to PC, you're stuck with a cement or a structural adhesive, like Weld-on #10 or #16. It's a tall order to expect acrylic to flex harmoniously with PC (since acrylic is harder, while PC flexes more), even before you get to the part where the plug is so thick compared to the tube walls.

Has anyone tried making a tip from PC, and then making a proper solvent bond between that and the PC blade?

In fact, I believe you could go one better and use a disc of mirrored PC, and essentially weld the entire blade into one piece.

The tips sold in the store here are machined from a solid rod of polycarbonate, and yes, the best way to attach them to a blade is with Weld-on #3, or #16.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The tips sold in the store here are machined from a solid rod of polycarbonate, and yes, the best way to attach them to a blade is with Weld-on #3, or #16.
    The Weld-on #3 or #16 are effectively the best methods, however if you just can't wait, you can get LOCTITE Plastics fusion epoxy from Lowes for a few bucks and it works pretty darn well. I've been whacking my tube pretty hard and the tip hasn't come off, yet.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

i'm using power epoxy super crystal clear waterproof cement. i normally just call it the yellow tube glue... no issues here, though i haven't beaten anyone up... and it dries pretty clear too! ^_^
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    OH, great -- in some thread I had seen mention that they were acrylic, but that may no longer be current info. Would love to see the product description specify material, but maybe this isn't the place to request that.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    OH, great -- in some thread I had seen mention that they were acrylic, but that may no longer be current info. Would love to see the product description specify material, but maybe this isn't the place to request that.

Cheers
    Yeah, that must have been a very old topic that mentioned acrylic...they've been machined polycarbonate for a few years now. You're right, that probably should be in the product description.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.