Thread: Changing LEDs/ Lumens question

Default Changing LEDs/ Lumens question

I have a Lux V Green being driven with a 1000mA puck.
    Doesn't that mean that since I'm not using a resistor, I can just switch out the LEDs on their heatsinks to say, a Lux III?

And as for the topic of brightness, I'm curious. The green Lux V puts out a whopping 160 lumens, whereas the Blue Lux V puts out a measly 60 Lumens.
    I know that lumens are a measure of brightness, but would the Blue Lux V be comparable to the Green Lux V in brightness, despite the ridiculously large gap in lumens?
    I guess I'm asking if brightness and light intensity are the same thing.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Eco... the buckpuck outputting 1A will do this consistently, so... in essence, yup--you could swap your Lux V with a Lux III or whatever can handle 1A.

As to lumens and brightness and all of that... this question has come up thousands of times, and there aren't any black & white answers. One way to say it though... is that in GENERAL... human eyes react quite largely to red & green light in a big way. Also... in general, they do not react as much to deep blues, or even certain other colors "in between" the other more primary colors.

Anyhow... you shouldn't take the lumens ratings as a sign that one is a TON brighter than another. As it is... *I* personally say that the entire lumens factor is jacked up and bass ackwards. Why.

Well, for one--it's sort of "intuitive" and natural to think that with the following:

LED X = 190 lumens
    LED Y = 60 lumens

...LED X would be "3 times brighter" than LED Y. Well... it's just not true. There's a lot more to it, because:

* Light behaves in some pretty interesting ways (having propertied of both a particle and a wave, in theory)
    * The LEDs we utilize get compounded with optics, blade film/diffuser tubes, and polycarbonate tubes... all of which "distill" and subtract from the overall light
    * The LEDs we utilize were generally not meant to form a "beam" or a tight angle of light
    * Again, differing colors make our eyes perceive brightness is differing ways

Finally, I'll just say... *MY* eyes tend to see red light as being very very bright... whereas even if there is a green or blue light of comparable "brightness"... I have to really think about it--since the red stands out... to me.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Okay, I was hoping that there would be something like that.
    Like Lumens is an output but brightness is something else, even though I know that lumens is a measure of brightness.
    Like volts and amps aren't the same thing, but they go hand in hand.

So whether or not the brightness is comparable really falls down to an inspection in person, rather than looking at stats.
    My, that's budget friendly. -sigh-
    But also slightly reassuring.
    Thanks for the help once again, Novastar!
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin