Thread: Wiring help please?

Default Wiring help please?

Hi folks,

I have a Ultrasound 1 and a TCSS PLI and I want to wire them using two switches so that one switch will activate the saber light & sound in normal fashion but with the other switch wired 'independently' in such a way that it will ONLY activate the PLI alone while the saber remains 'unignited'...and I'm having a 'brain freeze'/'attack of stupiditis' on how to wire that.

If I wire it from the normal LED outs of the US 1 then I'd have to ignite the saber to check the PLI?...not what I want.

If I wire it between the battery and board I'd have to use a latching switch and activate the PLI switch first then the main switch in a 2 step procedure when I wanted to activate the saber?...not optimal.

[besides wouldnt that also act as a 'kill switch' on the board? Not exactly what I was looking for...though I have heard kill switches arent a bad idea on the US 2.0 and I do have a couple of those coming so if theres no way to make this work as I want with a US1 then I'd consider that with the US2]

What I really want is to be able to tap one momentary switch by itself to check the PLI only without igniting the saber OR be able to tap the other momentary switch by itself to ignite the saber only without activating the PLI...hope I explained that clearly...because I'm not at all clear how to wire that or if it even can be done with a US1

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated...a wiring diagram even more so because my wee noggin just isn't visualizing how to.

Thanks in advance,

Onli-Won

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

my disclaimer: never wired a PLI before, but this should at least get you pointed in the right direction
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Eastern, wouldn't the PLI be wired to both positive and negative leads? The circuit wouldn't be complete the way you have it right now, by my understanding.

Then again I've never wired one either
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

very interesting! I have one (surprise) but have not hooked it up! I will watch this with some interest!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Easterns wiring diagram is incorrect as the PLI is in series with the US circuitry. Current would need to flow through the US to reach the PLI.

You need to wire them in parallel so that they are completely independent of each other.

Just wire from your battery to your PLI, to the PLI on/off switch and then back to the battery.

For the US you then wire it as normal, Battery>>whatever on/off switch>>US.>>battery.

Each circuit would then have no relation to the other except for the fact that they just happen to be using the same battery.
    Phil Higgins

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

dang, I'm batting a thousand today.... epic failures all over the place... just one of those days I guess.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

LOL!

I've had many days like that. It will pass. (Until the next one comes along.)

Thanks everyone especially Neophyl...yes thats exactly what I wanted but couldnt wrap my noggin around at the time...very much appreciated sir!

Now I can finish up my design and get it ordered!