Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Sabers

ok some pics of Fury V2 for you guys, she's running on a tri lux with a green, green, white setup, the white LED kicks in when she clashes, you use blaster block etc etc

overall I am really pleased with her, the balance is perfect, the weight is really light, best of all she is running on a crystal focus 4.1, powered by a 6AAA 7.2V 1000mAh Pack, the LED's in the clamp are held in place by a custom machined metal sheet that keeps them all nice and well spaced, the top LED (blue one) is the aux button, the bottom red led is the power button, really sweet setup and lots of fun, really loud as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

"During the constuction there was no doubt as to what I would name her, this saber is mine, this is Fury" - Mcich Felwind

Default My first saber

After much quiet research of the forums, have produced this. Using MR Yoda guts and a P4. Would love some opinions. Prefer a brighter blade for display I think, so am currently working on an LED string saber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a couple shots of my first saber, inspired by Big Yellow Box Style One. It has no electronics, as it's just for show on my costume.

Last edited by Nineteen; 11-17-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Default my first saber self custom machined

here's my fist saber built from TCSS tutorials(thanks). It's a lux V at 700 ma with a white poly blade. I used CNC and Mastercam to cusom machine the hilt from aluminum and brass. 3 pieces: blade holder, handle, and end cap. the switch is knurled phosphorus bronze.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

'Hermit' by Toukejin

Aluminum with brass accents
    Seoul P4 Blue
    1000mA Buckpuck
    TrustFire Li-ion Batteries
    No Sound

Construction and misc other photos in the Flickr set.

Thread here.

PVC Saber
    Lux 3 Red-Orange.
    Hasbro Force Action Darth Sound Board and speaker.
    3 AAA battery pack.

I forgot to post this here in case some people don't visit FX-SABERS.

It's running a Seoul P4 white from a 4xAAA rechargeable pack. I originally used a resistor but after melting the top of the battery pack I decided to go with a 1000 mA constant current driver. I wired the recharge port directly to the battery pack and driver and use it as an on-off switch as well as recharge port.

Simple sinktube/PVC Maul-inspired set of Christmas sabers:

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Apart from my MR Light Saber, here is a pic of my Light Saber Bokken, one of a pair. It has a Tasmanian Oak blade and simple polished alloy hilt and is used for practice. Balance is similar to Iaido/Kendo bokken or Katana.

Default Custom Sith Saber

I have no complaints about how this saber turned out. While it was definitely a challenge to construct, and even more a challenge to wire up, the end result far outweighs the struggles.

]

From every angle, this saber has something to show off. From the multiple layers to the menacing forked emitter, to the crystal chamber - something to see any way you look at it.

Once I had a firm plan and a direction, I had to balance trying to look "good" with looking "right". It wasn't enough for the saber to have neat whiz-bang features or to have shrouds exemplifying Dremel-Fu...everything had to somehow flow together and be balanced. Not an easy task.

Shroud work that encases the low profile switch...

Straight lines and soft curves. Sharp and subtle...

Grips that provide not only a comfortable place to put a hand, but play off the angles on the rest of the saber...

Flush-mounted window disguising a surprise when the saber is active...

Crystal chamber? Yah...why not?

Shrouds cut taking the junction of curved and straight pieces into account to fit snugly and still look "right"...

Custom shroud work even on the pommel...

While the saber is great to look at when it is off, it's when the power is thrown when the saber really shines (pardon the unintentional pun).

The crystal chamber is extremely bright. Coupled as close as it is to the main LED heatsink, it casts its light in such a way to make the whole area glow with "energy". Unforeseen, but a welcomed surprise.

Taking it all in through these final shots, it really is something to behold (and be held...another pun - sorry).

Curved sabers are notoriously difficult to build. As the last of my spare parts in the shop are now gone, this saber is the culmination of a lot of hours, lots of coffee consumed, lots of bad 80's hair-band music listened to. I hope you like it as much as I do. Want to see a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMhHYVIGMU

The finish on the saber is particularly interesting to me. I did not want to "weather" the saber, but I knew that making the saber in an AFBB configuration was not possible (raw aluminum tubing is usually scratched pretty badly from the supplier). Even through all the laborious wet-sanding and polishing with high-speed buffer and compound, the imperfections in the base materials still show through somewhat. Taken together with the handling of the base hilt that occurred during assembly, the saber has a look that I liken to a weapon that has seen use, but has been well cared for and well maintained...like a military-issued weapon. Slight discoloration here or there, a few scratches here or there, a nick of paint...all add up to a more realistic look than if the saber were built to look like a perfect model rather than a functional piece of sci-fi weaponry.