Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Miri's Defiance

Default Miri's Defiance

Okay, by now, some of you have seen my signature. now I'll tell you a bit more about my design. Mcich has Felwind's Fury. This one is called Miri's Defiance.

I've tried to put a story behind parts in her saber. the green represents the forests of A'renia, her home planet. the rings on the emitter for the rings around the planet. I know I would like to put some kind of tribal design on the hilt somewhere but I'd like that to be engraved or machined.
    As for blade and sound board, I've not decided that yet. I do more saber spins than anything, some dueling with the kids, mine and the neighbor's. I'm considering Makototsai-type blade, simply because I like the ramping of the MR's and the near brigtness of the Luxeon. However, most sound boards appear to be geared towards Luxeons. But I'm still researching my options at this point and I'm not going to rush things.the choke piece is more for my benefit than anything, it gives me a place to really grip the hilt when I'm in costume and so is the ribbed extension. I'd like to add blinkies to the clamp box, maybe even some chaser LED's that o around the diameter of the hilt.eventually perhaps some internals, but overall, this will be my costume piece more than anything. the pommel may change though.

I'll be using matte black and the standard stainless steel for the finish, but I might do some drybrushing in areas to age it a little and give it some personality. Obviously, by going with an LED MR-style blade, there will be some weight towards the blade and I'm hoping that where the choke point is, the clamp box, battery and chunky pommel that will help to counterbalance it and make it less top heavy and a bit more balanced. but, I'm non-committal at this point so blade style may change. Blade color will be either blue, green or white. Again, I've not made up my mind. One thin I'd love to be able to do is pulse the LED's so it as a gentle and subtle effect of the energy traveling from the hilt to the tip of the blade like a Mexican wave as you see when you upgrade your crystal in The Force Unleashed. I have no idea if it can be done nor how to go about doing it.
    Last edited by Blue Fox; 12-09-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Nice design. I like the green o-rings.

I see a couple of small problems though. First, the blade screw is too far back. It will need to be in the tapered part of the blade holder. I recommend that you use a set screw instead of the thumbscrew, so it doesn't spoil the lines of the saber.

The second problem is your switch placement. It might be in the way of the threads there.

interesting design, couple of pointers:

1) this will be long, like over 12 inches

2) you've placed your blade retention screw too far back, it needs to be on the actual blade holder piece, the father forward the better.

Hey didn't know if you knew this, but you need to move that blade screw up
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Leximus View Post
    Hey didn't know if you knew this, but you need to move that blade screw up
    5 words- I-THINK-SHE-GETS-IT!Giggles nice saber though.
    Last edited by Count Malik; 12-21-2008 at 03:20 PM.

I really like the design, but did you actually want the switch on the opposite side as the activation box?And I don't think your switch will interfere with threads... and about the thumbscrew.....nvm...

Winning the fight isn't everything. It's the only thing, and you have two options- TapouT or PassouT.
    Official Saber Concepts Saber Designer

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hey guys?

Blue Fox is a WOMAN.

I was chatting with her last night on Shout Box, so I know this for sure.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
    I'm considering Makototsai-type blade, simply because I like the ramping of the MR's and the near brigtness of the Luxeon. However, most sound boards appear to be geared towards Luxeons.
    You can use an MR board (or new Hasbro FX) if you want to keep the ramping/scrolling effect.

You can make the led ladder yourself or Makototsai might sell you one already made. He might be able to sell you the whole electronics package actually (his own design).

Luxeon doesn't give you ramping but it's pretty simple and foolproof.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Great saber design. from experience, I think you'll be very happy with that design. With the exception of the pommel, and switch, it's the same as
    my primary saber

Okay, am I right in guessing that the blade screw needs to come forward? J/K
    I'll do that. thank you

ArkaiHalon, looking at your saber, Yes, I agree that I'll be very happy with my saber. Thanks for sharing the picture ^_^
    I'll reply more in a bit, I just popped on at break to post my thanks to everyone ^_^