Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things I've learned while making my first saber

Default Things I've learned while making my first saber

Well, as I sit down now to begin wiring together the electronics for my first saber, I thought of all the useful things I've learned while preparing, and thought I'd share.

1) Yes, you do need a blade retention screw, and no, Lowes and HomeDepot don't do drill and taps.

2) A 1-1/2" Sink Tube will not fit over a powdercoated MHS unless Tim does some custom work on it first.

3) LIon 18650s will NOT fit in the standard 2xAA battery holder.

4) Have someone look over my parts list before I place the order. This saves money on shipping later when you realize such things as (I forgot the buckpuck/whoops, thats a momentary switch/If I'm wiring in electronics, an actual BLADE would be nice to order)

5) Latching switch is not synonymous with 'sliding' and momentary is not synonymous with 'push on/push off'

6) If using a guarded switch, think about how you're going to get the retention nut on before you madly solder the whole thing together.

7) Recharge ports and custom-made battery packs are not for first-time solderers.

Edit: Added another after I realized that my very careful measuring to determine if the battery holder would fit in the ribbed section had neglected to include the added measurements of putting the batteries in the holder...

8) The MHS ribbed sections have a different Internal Diameter from the regular MHS parts. Some stuff won't fit.

Feel free to mock me and/or add embarrassing mistakes of your own from when you were starting out.
    Last edited by Darth Demens; 12-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.

New Staff Design

CLASSIC!! That was really fun to read! It brought me back to my first experiences ordering. I could have benefitted from some of your entries here!!

There is a reason why I'm 2nd in number of orders from TCSS this year (screw you LDM!)
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Mock you?!?! We should be applauding you - along with your courage & humility! Great tips - keep em coming!

I still habitually break #4... never realize I needed just that one more thing until after I've place an order

I think I was particularly bad this first time. I've placed 3 orders so far, and still just realized when I sat down to do this that the switch I was planning on using was a momentary, not a latching. Going to try and see if I can find a 'close enough' replacement at radioshack until I place my next MHS order. $10 shipping for $8 of parts is a little more than I'm willing to pay.

New Staff Design

im right there with you on several things, like ordering parts for my first 5 sabers and only 3 blades... and 0 heatsinks.... Now for some of my own:

always remember to put the heatshrink segment onto one of the wires BEFORE you solder them together.

always remember to test seat the lens holder BEFORE you solder the wires to the LED pads. (if you solder the wrong way the lens holder wont sit right)

always remember to tighten your blade retention screw as much as possible BEFORE you take the saber out for a test spin.

always remember to test spin on the grass, not the driveway. (see previous lesson)

you arent done with a build until youve burnt or bled

have fun!

I <3 Mako

Council Member
    Sith Lord

This is a great thread, ALL of us have done at least some of these things. I don't have a problem with not having parts (he he he Lex), but I have forgotten heatshrink and had to desolder a few times. I also forgot to check the measurement on a battery pack WITH batteries in it once. Aahh, good times...
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradeliphine View Post
    Now for some of my own:

always remember to put the heatshrink segment onto one of the wires BEFORE you solder them together.
    I've been using a soldering iron (and heatshrinks) for many, many years... and I still forget this from time to time. Talk about repetitive "D'oh" moments...

On another note, I'd mention to think beforehand "how to change the batteries" in your concepts. My first saber took a mere 45 minutes to change batteries. No fun.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

My big one to add is this:

##: Once you order parts (all/complete/nothing missing) for your first saber, build it!!! Don't go off on tangents about: how to alter the hilt; a new design (that's your second saber, chowderhead!); how to expand the electronics (K.I.S.S); etc.

Even if your saber is as simple as a 1.5" sink tube, 2 inserts, a pommel and an emitter and looks more like a pipe bomb than one of LDM's "CADS" (Custom Anodized Disco Sabers ), you'll learn more about building that one simple design than spending weeks mulling over more numerous and more complex design ideas (like, um, ME)!

Note to Lord Dottore Matto: Your sabers are beautiful and wonderous creations! The designs are brilliant (often literally), and my comment was meant more to illicit a smile than a grumble.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

Default working hilt

I agree it is best to have a simple working hilt. It works great as a design model that lets you plan future sabers from. Drilling, tapping, cutting, and soldering are some basic skills that you should be comfortable with. Once you know how everything goes together, you can get a better idea how much space you have to work with on the inside.