Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread: New Jedi order (non-canon costuming group)

I would certainly be willing to join. I'm working on my costume now and had to completely change it because of the rebel legions strick standards for jedi.(browns and tans are ridiculously boring..)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can always go for New Republic Jedi.

The color standards aren't quite so strict.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 10-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I've been considering making a modernized costume. Based on the jedi costume, of course, but instead of the martial arts gi and such, just have some simple boots, the (brown or black) khaki pants or dark jeans, and, here's the twist, a gray, white, or black track jacket (with hood)/zipper hoodie, and an appropriately colored t-shirt and belt. Since I would prefer to go with a Luke ROTJ concept, prolly a black leather glove too.

Really, the only reason I want this is cuz I'm a cheap/poor teenager, and I can easily go with whatever is lying around the house.

But really, would it be wrong? lame? No one would get that I'm a jedi (despite the lightsaber)? or is it an interesting idea worth trying?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I could see maybe some type of military looking jacket, but not a hoodie, that would be too lame, IMO, and people won't take you seriously.
    TCSS MODERATOR

ah, so maybe a sort of flack jacket then? I could manage that...

and I'm not really going for serious or anything, just doable. Again, when the money comes around I'd definitely go for something much more awesome than what's in my closet. :P

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Not necessarily a flak jacket, but something with military styling, if that makes any sense.

I just think you'd look like a joke, if you wore a hoodie.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    You can always go for New Republic Jedi.

The color standards aren't quite so strict.
    Yeah I think that's the way I'm going to end up going. It's still not my original design but there's no real place for that (Rogue or "Fallen" Jedi with themes from both jedi and sith costumes).

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie162 View Post
    ah, so maybe a sort of flack jacket then? I could manage that...

and I'm not really going for serious or anything, just doable. Again, when the money comes around I'd definitely go for something much more awesome than what's in my closet. :P
    A good rule of thumb when costuming, if you're trying to do anything "not of this world/timeframe" (SciFi/Fantasy/Period) you need to avoid major pieces that look like you just picked them up off the shelf, you can get away with it for small stuff, but the bigger it is the harder it is to hide in plane sight. There are ways to modify, enhance or embelish modern clothing to look period or futuristic, but anything easily recognizable and prominent will break down your believability.

The problem with a hoodie is that they're everywhere, and pretty much anything you do people will still look at and think "hey, that's just a hoodie". It doesn't really matter what theme you're doing at that point, if you're going for something unreal (like a Jedi for instance), something so obviously mundane will counter the effect you want.

Yeah, I thought about that too... and i've got a jedi costume in the works, just with some color alterations (white and black tabards, white undershirt, and black gi, boots, and maybe a glove). If I really can figure out the 'modern day jedi' then i might post a picture or two in the future. But anyway, I wouldn't really be going for something that's of a specific time frame, just what one might wear if you were a jedi in the present time... if anything from a certain time-frame, i'd love to do a sort of wild west jedi or that steam punk look, that'd be fun.

I had a halloween party at mine afew years back, one guy turned up in black combats, a tank top, and black cowboy boots.

Allegedly, that was his interpretaion of a NJO jedi apprentice.

True, he was on a budget as well, but if you tweak it right you can get it looking semio respectable.
    One of the costumes in my fanfilm is a 'grandad' style longsleeved tee, combats, custom boots & a jedi belt with pouches & saber hanging from it, topped of with a knee length robe. However, that will be be on set, on a landing platform, so that's pretty obvious what the character is.

With research, you can do 'other time' jedi as opposed to modern day. I myself have a plan to do a Steampunk Luke jedi, clockwork prosthetic hand and all..

It really is a case of researching, though I wish you good luck.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?