Thread: Question about Trustfires

Question Question about Trustfires

Ok, this will be the first time I've used Lithium cells, and was wondering just how REAL is the threat of li batteries exploding? I hear lots of horror stories about batteries going BOOM! and was just wanting to find out how real the threat of exploding batteries is. I know the Trustfires are protected cells, but what usually causes the batteries to fail?
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

first off dont over charge them
    and Li-Po's go boom iv never heard
    of a Lithium blowing up mabe bern out
    but not bloow up if that helps at all.
    Falling to the dark side,
    i have gone to far. Now sarrow
    sings softly and sweet. Will i be saved
    or forgotten like rest?-"Col-Vin-Lune"

My biggest concern is how safe are the trustfires? Or how easy it is to mess them up?

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

i ment Ni-Cad's dont go boom
    Li-Po's do

am sure if you buy a good charger they
    should be safe to use

Samurai... somewhere on here (don't remember where) I posted a thread about Li-Ions with quite a bit of detail. If you find it... great.

In the meantime, all I can say is... in the past 2-3 years that I've used Li-Ion cells (mainly 18650s)... I've never once had a disaster in my own sabers. The only solitary dangerous situation came from an 11.1v pack that *I* did not buy, and it was in an H-blade saber that was given to me. I'm not trying to be biased--but it's just a fact: the pack smoked, sizzled, caught on fire, and charred a hole into the tile on the floor. It's a long story, but... at this point, the pack was isolated, sitting by itself. I can't imagine why it fried, but... it did.

HORROR STORY aside, lmao... that is only ONE pack, and Edwin and I have some mixed feelings about how that pack was being "drawn from" regarding current.

Otherwise, I've used probably 20+ Li-Ion cells in one way or another... and never ONCE had any kind of disaster. Closest thing would be that I "short circuited" a pack back in 2005/2006 (when I was very new) while trying to implement a kill/recharge port option... but I jacked it up due to being so new with stuff. HOWEVER... the PCB protection saved my butt since once it detected the short--it cut power.

The beauty of the Li-Ion setup is that the PCBs are made to protect against ALL sorts of things... reverse polarity... short circuit... over-draw... over-charge... over-drain... ... good stuff!

The slight disadvantage is that, yes, the PCB is always drawing a teeny tiny amount of current... but... so what? To forsake something like 1mA for a myriad of safety precautions... it's well worth it. WELL worth it.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks, Nova! I feel better, now. (but just watch me blow off a hand)

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

The danger of LI is when people build battery packs without knowing what they are doing or charge them with a charger too dumb to know when to stop. A properly built battery (already done for you in the case of a trustfire) and a smart charger and you should be golden.

Then I am correct in assuming there would be no problem using the Trustfires in the store with the Li-Ion smart charger also sold in the store. The actual smart charger not Trustfire All-in-one charger. I'd really rather not have to take them out everytime to charge them.

I know that's a noob question and I apologize, but I have no experience when it comes to Li-Ions and I've had some of the same concerns Sam Rob expressed.

ive been told by several members that it is fine, that is the very idea of putting rechargables in a holder and wiring in a recharge port.

I <3 Mako