Thread: I have a newbie question ;)

Default I have a newbie question ;)

Is possible to put a volume control on a ultrasound and the crystal focus circuit board ? Like a + and - button because i stay in my parents house and i don't want to disturb my parents with loud sound. That could be nice if we can do that.

I imagine they even have programming settings you could adjust, I havent experimented with the sound boards yet so I cant say for sure, but you could always use foam/masking tape over the sound holes inside or outside the hilt, if you cant adjust it... muffle it...

I <3 Mako

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The Ultra sound board does have a volume adjustment in the programming, I saw it on some recent videos that Ultra did.

There's also an adjustment potentiometer on the Cryrstal Focus board. I don't know of there's also an adjustment in the programming.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

well the US has two settings, loud and louder, I won't say adding a volume control is impossible, but It's probably more trouble than it's worth, the CF has a potentiometer on the board that can adjust.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

The CF has six sound banks, and you have the ability to turn the sound off in one of them in the config settings. There's one setting called "mute", and you enable it by changing the 0 to a 1.

As for changing the volume in the settings, you can't. Once you set the pot, it's set at that volume level. I suppose you could edit the sounds in one sound bank to be half or a quarter as loud and call it "Stealth Saber" if you wanted to still make some noise but not keep your parents up.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Mister nome, what kind of saber do you have?

If you have a specific kind (e.g. MR, MHS) there's a few really neat (and effective) tricks to dampen the sound.

Using a potentiometer for volume control is a simple enough matter. Just run a 500K ohm pot inline with the speaker.
    http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

I thought that it would cause problems with the sound transmision but if it's that easy it shouldn't be a problem for anyone capable of wiring their own rig.

Ideally it's best to run the pot *before* the amp, but since that's not possible, a higher ohm pot after the amp will also work.
    http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Thanks for posting Ultra! Good to see you here...

The idea of adding a POT to the speaker line of any kind of Crystal Focus wiring is just as possible, btw. Essentially, you're limiting the amount of "juice" that can get there.

It is currently not possible to "control" the volume on CF via the software. Unless you count "1 or 0", a.k.a. on or off. Pretty much everything ELSE is configurable with pretty fine "granularity" though.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide