View Poll Results: wich sabers do you prefer? sink tube or mhs?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • SINK TUBE

3 7.89%
  • MHS

11 28.95%
  • MHS WITH SINK TUBE OVERLAY

20 52.63%
  • IM NOT SURE I NEVER DID A MHS SABER

4 10.53%
  • IM NOT SURE IVE NEVER DONE A SINK TUBE SABER

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sink tube sabers vs. mhs sabers

Default sink tube sabers vs. mhs sabers

what do you guys prefer?sink tube sabers or mhs sabers? also what in your opinions are the downsides and upsides to each? i know that you can probably get mor detail and distinction on the sinktube but with the mhs it goes together better im guessing. plus to get the distinction you need the tools to do it. and theres only so many options with the mhs to get your own distinct look.

what do you guys think
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Default saber

the secret is actually layers. I like MHS parts + sink tube + external accents. Granted, things can add up quickly but the end result is usually worth it. MHS parts are great for designing a basic layout but the saber almost appears naked without something around it.

I'm with Swear. I prefer the look of MHS used in tandem with sink tube overlay/underlay pieces.
    Obviously it comes down to the sabresmith though.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

yes it is up to the saber smith but im new at saber smithinging any way thank you i think ill check out mhs with sinktube overlay. what sorts of tools would be needed to work with sinktube?

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Personally, I don't really like using sink tubes for overlays. They have to really be done right in order for it to look good... I've only seen a few individuals that can really pull it off. I like to have things integrated into the design rather than added for aesthetics, and overlays seem to be... kind of superfluous... this, of course, is coming from the guy who tries to squeeze in accent LEDs whenever possible ... grain of salt

Just my opinion, mind you. I've tried them (sink tube overlays), but it's one thing that still escapes me... but I'm not a huge fan of them to begin with.

hm. well i was thinking of doing sinktube with a mhs emitter and then using a sinktube pommel and then trying to add the uniuqe look to it with tools.

tutorial on ohms law!!!

A clean MHS saber is naked. you need some overlays to make it look complete (or at least some clamp + grips).
    Even with the 1,5 Adapter you are able to combine the look from MHS with the inside space of a Sinktube - so you can combine the advantages which are nice look + space for Batteries (not to mention that exchange of a sinktube is cheaper than the MHS parts).
    So I am for both - be most flexible.

so are you saying sinktube with some mhs parts like emitter adn stuff? im not quite understanding.

tutorial on ohms law!!!

Yeah - try to imagine a MHS based Emitter and maybe a neck or a ribbed extension.
    Now you screw on a 1,5 Adapter on it. Do 5 Inches of Sinktube and a sinktube Endcap. Now you have about 12" inches of Hilt with enough Space to mount a US2 - CF on top of 2 LI IONs 16850, which are side by side (the MHS parts do not have enough internal diameter to do so). That makes your Electronic just need about 3 Inches of Space + 1 Inch for a Speaker.

Not to mention that you can still use Overlays over the Emitter Neck/ribbed Section. (and Sinktubes can also be powdercoated)

I think thats unbeatable if it comes to short hilts with a CF/US or other fancy setups (esspecially with high power leds >= 5W).

I like the MHS and sink tube overlay (especially brass sinktube - adds a bit of Old Republic flair, IMHO), though it'll be a while before my Dremel-fu is strong enough to try it myself.