Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47

Thread: US 2.0 Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post
    Has anyone else been successful in using a Lux III Red with the US 2.5?
    On the Luxeon Red setting, whenever I attach the LED to the circuit, the speaker emits a rather annoying buzzing sound.

I tested to see if the LED was grounding on the heatsink by removing the LED from the heatsink momentarily, and the buzzing persisted.

I doubt the LED is the problem, because I've tested it with my friend's Red Lux III which I know works, and the buzzing is still there.

However, I don't think it's the power requirements of the LED, because when I hook up an Amber Lux III, it works just fine.

Can anyone give me a hand?
    Red, Red/Orange and Amber Lux III have a nasty tendency to ground themselves out against the heatsink and cause all kinds of problems. That's one of the reasons some of us old dogs use thermal tape between the LED and the heatsink - we can conduct heat from the LED to the heatsink, but we can also electrically isolate the LED and keep potential problems at bay.

I used Red Lux IIIs on the Starkiller sabers I did a limited run of http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...t=IMG_4456.jpg
    I used thermal tape on all the LEDs and never had a bit of problems with them.

i dont use t tape but i do use arctic silver thermal paste under all my leds, had no probs to this day with that setup on anything, US boards direct, or hasbro boards.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    Red, Red/Orange and Amber Lux III have a nasty tendency to ground themselves out against the heatsink and cause all kinds of problems. That's one of the reasons some of us old dogs use thermal tape between the LED and the heatsink - we can conduct heat from the LED to the heatsink, but we can also electrically isolate the LED and keep potential problems at bay.

I used Red Lux IIIs on the Starkiller sabers I did a limited run of http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...t=IMG_4456.jpg
    I used thermal tape on all the LEDs and never had a bit of problems with them.
    I don't think it's the LED. I've removed the heatsink from the LED and the problem still persisted. I'll get to a radioshack tomorrow to pick up some thermal tape, anyway.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aha! That's what make my amber have a low buzzing sound!

I don't really want to take everything out of the hilt to fix it though...
    (I'll just say it is a unique feature)
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Hey Card, does the buzzing go away when you put some fresh batteries in it?
    That's what happened with me. I've learned two things:
    1: Whenever I encounter a function error with a soundboard, the first thing I should do is change the batteries.
    b) When the battery power gets low, the current draw of the Lux III is too high to both maintain power to the board and LED. I'll be getting a P4 to extend my runtimes. (Which means I now have ANOTHER unused LED sitting around... Great.)
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

You could ship it to me free of charge if you can't find a use for it...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~