Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: US 2.0 Troubleshooting

the switch im using is just a mini mom switch from RS, works great!! and everything will bew even better once the trustfires arrive.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arm on Fire View Post
    actually it seems to me "most people" are still having issues. To me 100% satisfaction is wiring a device as per the instructions (oh wait, there wasnt any... ....) and it working when I turn it on, not having to play with battery connections and switches.

I still cant get past the fact that it seems to me a this product was released without proper documentation or testing.

The limitations in battery choice and switch type should have been addressed BEFORE the boards shipped out.and everyone should have been notified of them. had I known I would have cancelled my order, and I'm sure I would not have been the only one. Maybe it's just my cynical mind, but I'm thinking that it was somewhat intentional, since once all the people already have the boards wired in sabers they would be more likely to just accept the quirks rather than disassemble their saber and go through the hassle of returns/ repairs. If you wanted beta testers you should have asked for them, not drafted them.

These boards are useless to me for my customer builds, I cannot expect nor ask a customer who has no knowledge of the inner workings of a saber to go through these "issues" every time he/she wants to change the battery's in his saber.

If a product is not ready for release than it should not be released, no matter how many emails and impatient customers there are.
    I agree with you AOF,

Being a retired Airplane Mech. it would be against the law to use an unproven device on a plane, if the part were to fail at anytime after install, I would be held responsible and GOD forbid if it failed or malfunctioned in flight, I would be held for MURDER if anybody was killed, or damage to the Aircraft happened.

Not a good way to retire in JAIL.

p.s. forgot to mention, I still haven't tested mine yet........................................hopeful ly will get a chance Saturday...........................
    Last edited by Kal El Rah; 11-28-2008 at 12:56 PM.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Kant Lavar View Post
    Another thoguht: Everyone over in the States, go to frakkin' sleep! Nobody's going to be helping anyone with this if everyone's thought processes are crawling along like dying Hutts, and a combination of burns from soldering irons, electric shocks, and caffinated beverages are no substitute for a good night's sleep.
    Dear god man, of course we don't!

If we slept it would just give the rest of the world a chance to figure out we have absolutely no idea what we are doing!

On the ultrasound front.

I for one am perfectly OK with a requirement to use higher quality batteries and switches. I'm not entirely clear yet on what constitutes a higher quality switch (I have bought $10 stinkers and $1 gems) but I guess we will figure that out with research (Has anyone tried the security switches succesfully? I wouldn't mind using one of those).

If this were too easy what kind of Jedi would we be eh?

Also, this entire episode has easily cemented my respect for Tim and Ultra. If it were me I would have told the lot of us to go to hell until monday when I was damned and well ready to start looking into it. Well done sirs for going the extra mile to be troubleshooting and helping people out on a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El Rah View Post
    I agree with you AOF,

Being a retired Airplane Mech. it would be against the law to use an unproven device on a plane, if the part were to fail at anytime after install, I would be held responsible and GOD forbid if it failed or malfunctioned in flight, I would be held for MURDER if anybody was killed, or damage to the Aircraft happened.

Not a good way to retire in JAIL.
    Whoa!

Last I checked nobodies life was riding on these sabers, and these boards cost $100 to $120 or so not a few thousand!!

This is a very experimental hobby we are all engaging in, we really can't and shouldn't expect space program tolerances! For the record, my MR sabers (which are mass market commercially sold items) spaz out occasionally if I use bad batteries or even good batteries that have a couple miles on them.

If the solution here is to use good batteries and a good switch or to install a "jiggle the handle" switch for changing batteries (I so far like that option better than fiddling with the battery pack) then we are still doing OK. Remember it's not that many years ago that the best option we had was EL wire in an acrylic tube.

Ghostbat,

I just used my experience as an A&P as an example for quality control before an item gets put on the market, be it simple electronics or high priced items for aerospace, that's all.

Please take my previous comment with a grain of salt.

No disrespect to Ultra or anybody else.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

ArmOnFire, and Kal, did yall even watch the video? There is no change in power requirements.

There is nothing wrong with the board, it isn't failing. You just have to deliver power to it properly and use a good switch. Come on, is this really too much of an issue for people to overcome? Hell, my 10 year old knows how to install batts in his UltraSound saber after watching the video.

For crying out loud, you only have to do this when you're installing batteries in a multi-cell holder. It takes a couple seconds to do it right. If you can't handle that, you have no business building sabers.
    http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Ok I know if we use a tac type switch, it works perfect so to mount such a switch so it looks right = problem so I'm at work thinking about getting out my clay and sculpting such an item to hold said tactile. I'm thinking make a holder with some type of membrane pad on top. The holder will be made fom hard casting resin which will have a cavity for the switch to sit into and the membrane be a silicon type to lay on top to act as a button. Now does this sound good to anyone or I'm over thinking here. The over all setup will be not to potruding to where it be uncomfortable to hold
    Sith Happens

For the three cell holder (inline only), it may also be as simple as wrapping the cells together in a quick wrap of tape so they function as a single 4.5 volt unit when connected to the lead. Basically the same principle as has already been suggested to keep everything uniform.

I just tried it and it took 3 seconds.... about 1 second longer than Ultra's SIMPLE process he described in his VIDEO. lol

Okay, I just wired mine up WITHOUT instructions...

Used Li-Ion, Then Alkaline, Then NIMH.

Guess what? No issues whatsoever.

The ONLY issue I had was with the SWITCH. Because of switch bounce.

Oh and as for the instructions.

I am working on them. Sheesh...

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arm on Fire View Post
    actually it seems to me "most people" are still having issues. To me 100% satisfaction is wiring a device as per the instructions (oh wait, there wasnt any... ....) and it working when I turn it on, not having to play with battery connections and switches.

I still cant get past the fact that it seems to me a this product was released without proper documentation or testing.

The limitations in battery choice and switch type should have been addressed BEFORE the boards shipped out.and everyone should have been notified of them. had I known I would have cancelled my order, and I'm sure I would not have been the only one. Maybe it's just my cynical mind, but I'm thinking that it was somewhat intentional, since once all the people already have the boards wired in sabers they would be more likely to just accept the quirks rather than disassemble their saber and go through the hassle of returns/ repairs. If you wanted beta testers you should have asked for them, not drafted them.
    So you think I intentionally shipped these out knowing there was serious problems with them and knowing I could possibly face having to pay for shipping both ways again if customers where not happy with them? Oh, nevermind my master plan was to ship them and then not accept returns on a defective product muahahaha!!! Wow..that makes a lot of sense. And the whole beta tester thing..I guess we should be held to higher standards than say..microsoft, Sony, etc..
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop