Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: US 2.0 Troubleshooting

Default US 2.0 Troubleshooting

Yep....already!!

So here's my dilema and I don't expect a quick fix seeing as hardly anybody has got there's going yet, but I digress.

So here's my set up...

US 2.0
    4AAA batt pack (my rechargeables ended up not fitting correctly)
    momentary switch from TCSS (the normal run of the mill one)
    TCSS premium speaker

So first off it took about ten tries to get the board to even acknowledge the batteries where in. Now I can't even get it to go through the entire setup menu without the board resetting itself or just losing power completely.

I think it's either the switch which is kinda old, it was the first one I bought from here and it's been in no less than 4 sabers.

Or its the pack that has been in and out of a few sabers as well.

Sound like I'm on the right track?

I do have another US 2.0 I could test out if all else fails
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Wow I thought I was the only one that had problems with the board reading batteries.

Even when it did read the battery the board would just shut itself off and I'd have to replug the battery in a couple times to get it running again, even cut off when I was trying to set the board.
    twitch.tv/sigfreda

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

This does not bode well, if you guys are have problems right off the bat.

I hope they didn't end up rushing the production on these, after all.

If I had one, I'd have at least put a new switch on it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Hmmm... only things I could suggest (although I have no idea about the board itself):

* Verify that the cells are wired for VOLTAGE, not the current... you don't want to feed it merely 1.5v...

* If that is akin to a: "Well, DUH, Novastar--I know THAT!"... try another set of known-good cells (i.e. tested with another device), and/or meter the cells to be CERTAIN they are fine.

* Check the wiring to be certain no leads are "sketchy"

* I think it was Lex who said he had a 2nd board... that's a good way to rule out the board if the 2nd one works... or, again, you could simply put the cells into some other device

* If you're using a kill setup of any sort--just remove it from the equation for the time being to be CERTAIN that it is not causing a problem

* If you're using some kind of "spring pack" to hold cells in place... well... you could try soldering cells directly into the wiring (although this is starting to stretch it!)

But... uh... yeah, agreed with J-Lo: if two people are already having issues... and they seem similar... uh-oh.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I am using a spring pack the 4AAA pack from the store w/ brand new fresh out the pack cells. No recharge port or killswitch for the time being.

I'm gonna eat and then change the switch out and see what that does.

I'll also change out the batteries/battery pack if that doesn't work.

I'll post those results later tonight.

If unsuccessful I'll wire up the other board tomorrow and see what happens.

I haven't seen anyone posting issues on FX-sabers yet, so I will remain hopefull at least until I've tested everything.

EDIT: NOT THE SWITCH
    Last edited by Darth Leximus; 11-26-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Mine is doing the same thing.

I check all connections and solder points, all look good.

Tried different switches, same thing.

I have 6 volts going to the board, and I’m using tested good batteries.

I probed at the board to check the switch. I have full continuity when operating it. The speaker I’m using works, same for the led (lux 3 red)

It just won’t boot up unless I keep disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. After a couple times of doing this and letting it sit for a bit, it eventually boots and then when I go into set-up I can set my led type and save it and the led works, but when I go to the next step for setting frequency, the whole thing stops working. Push the button and nothing. The blade is still lit but it’s like I’m locked out. That’s as far as I can get.

Then I have to start the whole thing over again.

"Ive got a bad feeling about this..."

Ok so its not the switch, the batteries, or the battery pack.....

This is starting to not look so good

OK who's ready for bad news......

The other board works fine with the same exact setup.

It took a couple tries for it to recognize the batteries, but once it did it's been fine I've had it off and on a couple times and through the menus and it hasn't reset or turned off at all.

EDIT::

Scratch that the other one is doing the same thing now
    Last edited by Darth Leximus; 11-26-2008 at 08:31 PM.

I’m using brand new fresh and tested batteries. I tried 6 volts with a lux 3 and 9 volts with a lux 5, both with different battery holders and I get the same thing. After playing with it a while and cycling through a couple hundred times, I can get through the menu, but not without it shutting down somewhere along the way. Then your back to playing the disconnecting the battery game again.

It’s really erratic.

I have 2 more and I'll test them also.