Thread: 7 Color Blinking LED

Default 7 Color Blinking LED

I'm fully aware that I'm walking into an inferno by posting something that feels like such a stupid question, but I'm just clueless, and yes, I used the search function and didn't see anything.

I picked up a '7-Color Blinking LED' at RadioShack today, and rather than the 2 stems it has 3, and sticking it to a regular 3v watch battery I get the generic R/G/B+Mixes. However, I don't know what that 3rd stem is for, and I'm assuming it's to control single colors, but my question is, how?

I also picked up a 'Full-Color LED' that has positive stem + 3 others, 1 for each color, how could I wire this?

I just don't know what type of switch to use to light it. Could I get a switch that cycles through the colors each time I press it?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've used 4-leg RGBs before, but it was for three of the LED pads on a CF. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything or any driver (other than a CF) that would control the different colors.

The 3-leg LED should have one automatic mode and one manual mode (the middle/long leg should be the common). Meaning, connect middle and left leg - will cycle through the colors automatically, and in different patterns; connect middle and right leg - should cycle through the colors by connection.

So, yes, the manual mode for that LED will change color every time you open and close the circuit.

no inferno this time
    Last edited by eastern57; 11-25-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Your posts are always teaching me something. :]

Could I use that 4 stem RGB with a switch that has 3+ circuits by connecting the common to all 3, and then the other 3 to separate switches? So that one button on = one color?

Also, for the blinking, is there a certain type of switch I need to make it cycle? I have it wired to a push on push off type and it just turns red on and off but never changes colors.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can most certainly use 3 switches, then you can trigger the colors individually, I picture three push-buttons like a trumpet.

The 3-leg LED uses OOK (on/off keying), meaning it should change by toggling on and off, try using a momentary switch and just toggling on/off a little quicker, they should change. If not, it might use the third leg as a trigger, but keep trying different combinations until it works.

Thank you so much.

I figure if I'm going to independently wire accent LEDs to watch batteries the flashier the better.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Dude, I'm all about flashy thingies! You're welcome, any time!

I too bought one of these led's. The third leg on this is indeed used as a trigger to manually cycle through red, green, blue, orange/amber, aqua, purple, white, and then a flasher mode that runs red, amber, white, aqua, blue before restarting the 5-color sequence. There are some reviews up on Radioshack's item page that further explain how to get this led to continuously flash but I haven't tried it out yet.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can also use one of these switches with a RGB led to get 7 colors. The way it works is you have one hot wire and 3 switch wires (one for each LED color), when you press the button to change colors (0-7 and 0 is off) iit will go through each color individually and then it will combine the colors to get 7 colors. All of that is done with-in the switch so you don't have to worry about all the extra wiring that would normally be required. It is hard to describe how it works, but it does work well.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Rhyen-

are you talking about thr 4 pin version?..because I dont think the 3 pin works like that..

ground/++ and the 3rd leg is called the MODE pin/lead...

you can ground the mode pin (momentary switch or whatever) and cycle through ther colors.. the last option is a automatic 'beacon/flash' mode...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, I was talking about the 4 pin version and it also works with the RGB hi power LEDs too.. I was just giving him some options. And I forgot to add the link for the switch, here it is:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WITCH/-/1.html

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php