Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ridiculous saber on ebay

Wow this same ebay ass has been posted up 4 TIMES NOW!

The general conscientious was in them last 3 was they would buy it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

ALW sabers on eBay, IMHO, suffer from the chasm between innate value and perceived value.

As a sabersmith, I can sympathize with the amount of work that must have gone into each of these sabers. While the designs might not be my cup of tea, I do understand the builder spent a good deal of time on each of them and he is asking a price he deems fair as compensation for his work.

Unfortunately for him, buyers don't see that value when they look at the sabers. They see the asking price and balk because it is too high. Understandable from a certain viewpoint - everybody wants something for nothing.

If I ever got a wild hair and built something as wild as these ALW sabers, you can bet your sweet bippy I'd ask as much for them as he does. There's a lot of work in them.

[QUOTE=Jonitus;112631]

Unfortunately for him, buyers don't see that value when they look at the sabers. They see the asking price and balk because it is too high. Understandable from a certain viewpoint - everybody wants something for nothing.
    QUOTE]

He does sell most of the sabers he puts up so I wouldn't say people dont see the value. in fact he sold 3 other sabers exactly like the one being discussed (only in different colors) almost imediately after posting them. and not all his sabers are curved or long. He can make some beautiful Sandard looking sabers as well
    there are alternatives to fighting..............like gettin the hell outa here!!!!!

*sigh*

You act like I was lambasting the guy. Not true...AT ALL. I was merely commenting on his high prices and how I felt they were justified given the amount of work he puts into them. Sure, his sabers sell...eventually. If you have been around long enough, you see a pattern of his auctions and see how long it takes for them to sell. You haven't been around long enough to see this, so I'll overlook you firing off a post trying to make an example of me. This time.
    Last edited by Jonitus; 12-03-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Shocking that I would back Jonitus, but I agree with him completely. It is a perception of value. ALW creates some beautifully decorated pieces which take a very long time and great skill to produce, but there is such a thing as the market normalizing itself. Most people that are willing to spend $500+ on a saber, do so because of the overall saber (electronics and hilt design), so it may be difficult for some folks who know better to shell out that type of cashish for a saber that is MR driven, or an MR modification. I am pretty well known for buying whatever saber I want, yet even though I like ALW sabers, I don't own one. Why? Value/lack of electronics sophistication, I guess. I fully understand what goes into a saber of that magnitude, but I just don't seem to be able to pull the trigger. ALW is a great designer and artist, but as many artists tend to do, he has niched (read stylized) his art.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I'd love to one day get one of the sabres he makes that can be broken down into components. I just like those and would love to have one for display.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    *sigh*

You act like I was lambasting the guy. Not true...AT ALL. I was merely commenting on his high prices and how I felt they were justified given the amount of work he puts into them. Sure, his sabers sell...eventually. If you have been around long enough, you see a pattern of his auctions and see how long it takes for them to sell. You haven't been around long enough to see this, so I'll overlook you firing off a post trying to make an example of me. This time.
    Sorry I wasn't trying to make an example of you.... But dont treat me like a nube either I've been Admiring AWL sabers long before I was coming around here. if It wasn't for AWL I would have never gotten interested in building my own sabers and that interest lead me here. but I wasn't trying to offend.
    there are alternatives to fighting..............like gettin the hell outa here!!!!!

DISCLAIMER:

THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE AND SHOULD BE TAKEN AS SUCH WITH LITTLE TO NO SERIOUS THOUGHT GIVEN TO IT'S MEANING.

[QUOTE=joshrock;112789]Sorry I wasn't trying to make an example of you.... But dont treat me like a nube either [QUOTE]

This noob can't even spell noob right!!!

PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

lol... yeah I dont know Why I spelled it like that thanks for the correction leximus

Thanks for taking it with a grain of salt. I'm not a fan of when things get heated in here, so I like to lighten the mood when possible.

Just remember we are all Nerds, and nerds have a very high respect for their own opinions. In the end though, they are all OPINIONS and to each their own.

Happy Sabering and MTFBWY
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr