Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing MR clash/motion sensor with one from Hasbro?

Default Replacing MR clash/motion sensor with one from Hasbro?

I just bought a non-functioning 2003 Darth Vader FX Lightsaber, and while I managed to revive the light and sound, the clash/motion sensor seems to be dead. I also just bought an old Force Action Lightsaber. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the (apparently) dead MR clash/motion sensor with the clash/motion sensors from the Force Action Lightsaber, and if so, how I would do it.

My understanding is that, whereas the clash/motion sensor in the FX Lightsaber is a single unit separate from the sound board, in the Force Action board I have the clash sensor is fixed to the sound board, and the motion sensor is separate. Does this complicate things?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Matt,

I don't know anything about the Hasbro clash sensor, but... what I can say is that they are both simply closing or opening a circuit (like a switch) that signals whether shock is detected.

This means that--first of all--to test that it is not the board internals that somehow failed on this... you can attach a switch in lieu of the possible dead sensor. Doesn't really matter what type of switch for the test... but it will help you to determine whether the clash works, and which circuit state does what (in other words, does N/O cause a clash or does N/C?).

At that point, you can choose many ways to operate the clash circuit, where you could do so with a button/switch... or a "homemade" spring/shock sensor... or possibly a pre-made one.

Chances are... the Hasbro sensor is very similar to the MR one. A "Yusan" vibration sensor, heheh
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks, Novastar! I think I comprehended that. I'll try the things you suggested and report back on any progress or lack thereof. If the MR sensor really is dead, and I do successfully transplant the Hasbro sensor(s), I'll post a wiring diagram, since others may find it useful.

Hmm...
    Well, I tried Novastar's advice, and got no reaction. Even when closed the circuits directly at the jack. Which makes me think the problem is not in the motion/clash sensors, but in the motherboard itself, which in turn means there's no point trying to use the Hasbro sensors as a replacement. I don't see any broken connections or obvious short-circuits on the board. So I've got a setup with light, fire-up/fire-down sound, and idling hum, but no motion sounds and no clash sounds. Disappointing. I could scrap the MR board and use the old Hasbro board instead, but even hooked up to a decent speaker, the sound (particularly the motion sound) is pretty lame.

Well, they say you get what you pay for, which in this case is about sixty bucks.

Well, at least I learned something about motion and clash sensors. I'll post my best guess at a wiring diagram on the appropriate board.

I don't suppose weak batteries could be to blame? I'll recharge them overnight and try again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    At that point, you can choose many ways to operate the clash circuit, where you could do so with a button/switch... or a "homemade" spring/shock sensor... or possibly a pre-made one.
    Where could I buy one of these, or how could I build one? I've missplaced the one that I got with my MR board, and if I can't find it, I need an alternative. I've tried searching the boards and can't find anything, and I don't know what to search in google, so any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a source but I believe Yusan makes the vibration sensor used in MR blades as I recall, I can never find the part number when I need it

As far as making it, that would actually be pretty simple. Basically you have a metal tube as one pole of the switch and a spring inside it as the second. One wire comes off the tube and the other off the spring. When the spring touches the tube then the circuit is complete and power flows. Obviously you want the tube and spring mounted on something non-conductive so that there is no contact until motion causes the spring to hit the wall.

The more rigid the spring the less sensitive the sensor.

Okay. I have some old hasbro's that have what you just described in them. I'll probably just rip one out and use that. Thanks for the info.

I found this after some more searching. It has the part #'s for the clash sensor and motion sensor. I thought I needed another more precise clash sensor for the motion, but it turns out that the motion sensors are already on the board.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?p=61782

I think I have a pic posted on the forums somewhere on how to make one. If I can't find it I am pretty sure I have the pic at home. I'll do some digging tonight and see what I come up with.

Found it:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dark Navel; 11-25-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Porto Alegre - Rio Grande do Sul - Brazil

If one wants build your own motion sensor (that is a tilt switch) please go to http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...-switch/#step1

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

Tim does sell swing and clash sensors in the shop at $0.25 each.
    Clash Sensor
    Swing Sensor
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member