Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: (NEED HELP PLEASE) Custom LED lightsaber

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's correct, if you have a driver, there's no need of a resistor.

I haven't put sounds in a saber yet, though I do have an MR Mace board.

I have friends with sabers that have sound, and it begins to annoy me after a few minutes.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Hmm....ive just had an idea, if i were to purchase the Luxeon III v2 Driver board and install it into my Luke ANH MR that would work right? still using all the original MR parts like the LED strip, batterypack/speaker, sound board etc...

It wouldnt requre additional power would it? I really want something more then what my MR saber has,i love the clash effect and blade shimmer that ive seen on some peoples sabers.
    REQUIEM

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You could do that. All we're saying is to NOT DO a Corbin and MR board combo. If you want to switch the MR board for a Corbin, fine
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Im not sure you understand, there was voltage amperage (general power) issues with using the Luxeon V LED with all that i wanted so ive scrapped that idea.

Now im saying can i take my unmodified MR Luke ANH and stick a Luxeon II v2 driver board in it to add some more effects?

Will that also cause power issues? And do i need anything extra to make it work etc..
    REQUIEM

I FOUND IT!!!

YOU LEGEND!!

~ jjshumpert

"for anyone wanting to do this type of setup, it is as follows:

from the 9v connector run pos to one leg of the switch, from the other leg run 2 wires, one direct to the mr board the other resistored to the led

the neg from the 9v connector goes direct to the neg on the led

from the neg terminal on the pos side of the battery pack (flat coil) solder a wire to go to the neg on the mr board, creating a 4.5v current to the mr

solder the switch wires together on the mr board to close the connection and your done...

hope this helps anyone wanting a 5w with mr sound!"

THANKYOU!!!! i can now do what i originally wanted!!

EDIT: minus the driver, but hey its a start.
    Last edited by FallenJedi; 11-25-2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Mistake
    REQUIEM

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's no different than a regulator like I mentioned. The only difference is that a resistor does a piss poor job at imitating one because it limits current as well.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well you failed to give me any specific information so it didnt help.

If you were to outline what it was, how its used, and what i need to do to install it it would have helped ALOT and i would have been VERY greatfull.
    REQUIEM

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

And if you actually worked a little I might help you, but all we get is snide sarcasm. YOU'RE the reason I HATE n00bs.

Resistors limit current... since voltage and current are related (V = IR, a basic electrical principle) the voltage goes down too, but it's a bad solution. Also 9V's like he mentioned are bad for running V's. The reason a small resistor works there is because 9V's can't provide the amperage (current) to run it very hard. Say if that were 9V of AA's (6AA) you'd need a very hardy resistor and you'd be wasting a lot of the energy as heat.

If you looked up voltage regulator in a basic google search you'd find they universally have a output, input, and ground. Ground is your negative, then obviously for whatever device you wanted to regulate voltage for would be input and output of the postive battery.

We can't be there when you actually build so the more you help yourself the better. When you were learning to write did the teacher hold your hand?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Have you looked at the Ultrasound boards?

They might not give you all the bells and whistles you’re looking for, but it’ll run your Lux V and give you some features….Plus they’re still available.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ul...d-20-P318.aspx

Snide sarcasm? i dont know how you think i acheived any of that, i have actually been trying to be as polite as possible

Anyway with some amount of explanation i now understand what things are, what they need, what i can and cant have etc...

So to everyone that posted a reply to the thread thankyou.

Im still a massive noob and i remain moderately confused on how to wire things, but im alot more adept at understanding electronics thanks to you people.

Thanks again, once i have got something worth showing like a near finished product ill post some pics and add some more thanks.
    REQUIEM