Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on how to get "yoda"-type rubber grips?

Default Any ideas on how to get "yoda"-type rubber grips?

anyone got ideas on how to get "yoda"-type rubber grips? Im looking all over they place, internet, homedepot, and other hardware stores for something that even resembles em, but so far no luck.

anyone??

You could use craft foam (it comes in sheets - Michaels), and attach it with 2 sided tape.

It can look like this:
    http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabe...%20collage.JPG

MC

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you duel I'd only use craft foam as a last resort. I used gasket tape which industrial strength stuff just like it and it goes to pieces with too much handling.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

you can find adheasive backed neoprene rubber in differnt thicknesses at www.mcmaster.com and cut them to the shape you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Arm on Fire View Post
    you can find adheasive backed neoprene rubber in differnt thicknesses at www.mcmaster.com and cut them to the shape you want.
    yea, neoprene rubber strips were some of the materials i was looking into. I wasnt sure how well it would work but with your suggestion AoF i might just buy some and test it out.

The grips I used were industrial type vinyl baseboard...like the stuff they use in hospitals and schools. I bought a 6 foot length for like $5.00 It worked great. The biggest problem was cutting it accurately and cleanly. I ended up cutting the rounded rectangles out and then stacking them together and trimming them on the edges...sort of a like using a plane, except it was a exacto......

Here it is....

and

I sanded the MHS parts before putting the contact cement on.....I am not entirely happy with the bond. Some oozed out and I had to trim that back off. I also was frustrated by the rigidity of the stuff. Its flexible, but has a hard time maintianing the small radius of the MHS. I heated it slightly to get it to conform to the sides. I will ultimately use some sort of epoxy to tack the edges down when I finish this one off......

The thickness of the baseboard is sopt on, and the color, pretty close. I think the solid material will look better that the neoprene......but then again, it depends on the look you want.

Hope that helps.

bd
    Last edited by BlackDOG; 11-23-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

Techniques I have heard people use to make the grip for Yoda's saber:
    * Get rubber T-grips from the store and cut the fin.
    * Plastic or metal, spray with Plasti-Dip.
    * Cheap mouse-pad + carpet tape.

How the real grips were made (written by Steve Dyzmo, who later founded Master Replicas):
    "The grips were originally cast in a hard resin (by me) from aluminum master patterns machined by my shop. I made the rubber molds from these metal masters and cast the grips. Ed didn't like the hard resin grips, so a few weeks later, I recast another set for him in a dark gray/ black resin with a 60 durometer hardness. He attached those himself. As opposed to what someone on the RPF recently said, the grips were never flat. The master patterns were machined to match the curvature of the 1 1/8" tube from the beginning."

Council Member
    Jedi Master

What if you cut them out of appropriately sized PVC, and glued them on with JB Weld? They would be hard, but I bet they'd never come off.

that sound good and if you need more of a grip feeling use black tape around it. pvc would work nice for most detail i think.
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you mean electrical tape, ugh, that stuff can be sticky.

I, personally, would never make grips out of that.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!