Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obi-BEAR Kenobi!

Talking Obi-BEAR Kenobi!

Every year before the holiday season, the Salvation Army in my area runs a program called "Get Teddy Ready" where volunteers creatively dress up stuffed teddy bears (à la the Build-A-Bear store) to be distributed to needy children in the greater Boston area in time for Christmas.

I decided to submit a Star Wars themed bear. The bear's outfit is made from leftover scraps from my jedi costume (so I could call him "mini me", LOL!). Check him out!:

And I'm sure you are all wondering if his adorable little lightsaber actually lights up. Well, of course it does! I wouldn't be much of a TCSS patron if I skimped on that detail!:

No sound tho... no way I could fit all the electronics required for sound in a hilt that sized.

He's so cute I almost don't want to give him up! However I know he'll find a good home with a young Star Wars fan out there.
    Last edited by DizzyKungFu; 11-19-2008 at 06:15 PM.

That is absolutely adorable! The costume is perfect and the saber looks brilliant for it's size. Care to share the details of it?
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

That is cute!

I would love to have one, Iam a stickler when it comes to "strange" teddys.

Leave me alone or I will summon the care bears to come out of the poster and slay you all!
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Lupus View Post
    That is absolutely adorable! The costume is perfect and the saber looks brilliant for it's size. Care to share the details of it?
    Thanks!

The saber is a PVC hilt painted with primer and chrome "car bumper" paint. The LED is one of those blue 5mm types I found at Radio Shack. The assembly is much like you'd make a sink tube or PVC saber, except in miniature. It's powered by three 357 calculator/watch batteries (total 4.5 V, not sure the mAh or the run time here). The blade is actually the top portion from one of those cheezy $9.99 extendable lightsaber toys. I considered the idea of making the blade removable, but since I didn't know exactly how young a child would wind up with this, I figured it was safer to glue it solidly into the blade holder.

It was a lot of fun to make and I hope it makes some little kid happy! Maybe even create a new devout Star Wars fan!
    Last edited by DizzyKungFu; 11-19-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Thumbs up

He's so cute with his little hood up!
    That's my favorite teddy bear of all time, and it's for a good cause.
    One million points to you, my friend.

He's really adorable. And I know any child who gets the bear will be incredibly happy. You've done a truly wonderful thing for a child who really needs it.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Awesome! Some kid will go nuts over that!

That is so cute! I'm sure one child will love that.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Preston\My Documents\My PicturesThe cake is a lie.
    Official TCSS Noob welcomer.

Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Cool

Hey you get major cool points for that effort. I bet it took a while to make and that is awsome to spend that kind of time on a project like that.

Way to go!
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......