Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LDM's Philanthropy contest!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Talking LDM's Philanthropy contest!

Okay, here is the deal. I started this contest on another forum, but I don't want to limit the spread of good will! Post stories here of selfless things that you have done for others. It must be something done simply out of respect for your fellow man! Don't be modest. It can be the simplest of things as long as it is heartfelt.

This is indeed a contest (the Big Boss A.K.A. Tim has okayed it, but makes no warranties or guarantees with regard to it).

Here are the rules:

0. Post your entries in this thread.
    1. LDM is the one and only Judge. Rule Change---I will throw all qualified entrant's names into a hat and draw a winner! There should be no value judgement on philanthropy!
    2. Don't make stuff up. (this is serious!)
    3. The contest will run until January 1st, 2009
    4. Enter as many times as you like, but each entry must represent a separate act of philanthropy.
    5. Philanthropic acts aimed solely at winning this contest WILL be considered. (afterall, a good act is a good act!)
    6. Anyone who would like to contribute to the prize list must PM me before posting their idea.
    7. The prize will be awarded to the person who meets certain (secret) criteria, but I have outlined the basics for you!
    8. The prize will be sent to you not later than one month following the last day of the contest.
    9. You must be a member of Judgesabersmith.com, TCSS or Fx-Sabers.com and in good standing at the time of contest close to be eligible!
    10. The winner (one and only one) will be announced in this thread not later than 01-04-09 and can come from either site where it is running concurrently

And now for the prize:

It will be a custom LDM saberwith MR sound (donated by darth_call), with input from you! (You get to pick the color of LED and maybe a few small details) This saber will be free, gratis, cost you no cheese, no shipping, no handling, no partridge in a pear tree. The stunt will be MR-based, but certainly unique!

Registered Contestants:

1. LordBane21
    2. Darth Leximus
    3. ThreeQuadFive
    4. jtsteph
    5. samurai rob
    6. Pullo
    7. DizzyKungFu
    8. Swear000
    9. Vargose
    10. Alcfalath
    11. Ideal
    12. Lord Preston
    13. bubbalew
    14. bubbalew's son
    15. Malaki
    16. ketsuraku anei
    17. MaverickJsmith
    18. samurai_rob
    19. mmafighter
    20. Tradeliphine
    21. Kal-El Rah
    22. NewberL337
    23. Eco
    24. MasterRoop
    25. Blue Fox
    26. Mcich
    27. Ivod
    28. Do-Clo
    29. erictank
    30. Vazan Maceu
    31. Cannibal 869
    32. TirolLeonidas
    33. Darcy666
    34. Physche
    35. vadeblade
    36. Novastar
    37. Gundamaniac
    Last edited by Lord Dottore Matto; 12-24-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Wow this is really a generous offer... I am always humbled to see/meet people like you LDM, even if it is online.. You are a great benefit to this community

As for the contest, as much as Id love to be a part of it (and i do have some rather interesting tales/have led an interesting life..) as well as a saber which would be awesome, i think ill sit this out... Im building 2 sabers of my own and its more fair that someone else get a shot...

I for one however will love to read about other peoples tales. Who knows, i may be inspired to tell a few of mine, but they wouldnt be for the contest.. unless you insist

Anyways... everyone start posting

does not killing people who really piss me off count?

I'll have to think about this one, I'm generally a nice guy, but the level of philanthropy that merits a saber may be above me...

No thanks. If I ever did anything good for someone, I don't expect to be rewarded for it, therefore it would be pointless to relate the story about it in hopes for a reward.

I can build my own stunt sabers anyway.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I have to say that a few of the responses surprise me a little. First, I am sure that ALL of you can build your own sabers! This "contest" is simply a vehicle to spread a little good will and give TCSS some business (where do you all think that I will get the parts after all!) If you just want to do something nice for someone else and not enter, then that would be great as well!

P.s.-devilguy, you don't need to donate a kidney to a transient or anything, just buy him a meal! The acts don't have to be huge to qualify. It isn't about "deserve a saber", It is about me appreciating good folks!

P.s.s.-moondragn, relating stories of positive acts toward your fellow man is not, in this context, a way of "tooting your own horn". The reason I brought this contest here was to demonstrate the human side of many of us. I am discouraged at the tone that this forum has taken on lately and would like to "re-humanize" it a little!
    Last edited by Lord Dottore Matto; 11-14-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Very well put LDM... in that case.. i may just put a few of mine down after all.. but after i get some sleep.. its 0315hrs here and im a little knackered from work this evening :P

well I put something down after reading what u just said LDM. It's not much but I felt it would help out.

About a year ago we had a really bad storm I was at a gas station and there was a man who's car broke down so I offeredhim a ride and the man was thankful.

And I have done habitat for humanity work.

Like I said it wasn't much but after I did it I felt great. It's small thing people can do that make the biggest difference.

I know we all would love a free saber but it doesn't matter who wins, cause in some way we all win.
    "There are no Jedi who cannot be Seduced! With time they will all Fall. Do not underestimate the Temptations of the Dark Side!"

+LordBane+

Default drink

I was at a bar and offered to buy a girl a drink once....

Seriously though, I built my dad a couple of PVC sabers to help him with his automotive repair projects. Umm..that's about it...life is otherwise pretty uneventful.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    No thanks. If I ever did anything good for someone, I don't expect to be rewarded for it, therefore it would be pointless to relate the story about it in hopes for a reward..
    Ditto.

I help out a lot of friends and people @ work after hours and such with their PC problems (being the tech guy and all) and happily donate time, spare parts, and anything else I can. Same goes for family members. I know I'm always the kid out of the three of us that always lends a helping hand to my parents, watching the dog on the weekends if they have to go out of town (I live an hour away).

Outside of that, holding doors open for people, allowing others to cut in front of me at the grocery store if they have less items than me (I did piss off a grump old woman doing that once...that was actually kinda rewarding considering how bad she made herself look for bitching me out about it!) and the usual being nice to others.

Virtue is it's own reward
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

So LDM...would bowing out of our order # contest and letting you take the title qualify???

jk

This is a great idea and I offer my support whole heartedly! I haven't had any extremely philantrophic occurrences in my life as of late, but I do make monthly charitable donations for children with cancer, and I currently have a house full of dogs because I can't seem to pass by a "Needs a Home" flyer without coming home with a new animal! I consider these things the very least I can do and I try to go above and beyond when presented with an oppurtunity.

Rock on LDM, spread the lovin'!
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr