Thread: What is the best do-it-yourself way to set/recess a bezel nut for a switch?

Question What is the best do-it-yourself way to set/recess a bezel nut for a switch?

I wasn't able to have Tim do my switch holes so I'm stuck doing them myself. I was going to use a standard TCSS switch (not guarded) with a bezel nut and I know from searching the boards that I'll need a 3/4in switch hole. What I don't know how to do is to recess the switch hole so that the bezel nut will fit flush with the mhs center section. I was thinking of trying to use my dremmel and grind out a recess slightly larger than the bevel, but wanted to consult the masters before possibly ruining my pieces. What can I do? Sending to Tim is not really an option, but I think there's a Machine Shop a few towns over, but don't know if they'll even bother with a job so small as this and drill/tapping a blade holder screw so that's why I may end up doing it myself. What should I do? Before flaming me if this has been asked before - I really did look for an answer, but was unable to find a satisfactory one, so if it's already out there, point me in the right direction.

Sorry to be a pain and thanks in advance!
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've never even thought to do that myself. I always just had Tim do it. He has the equipment, and it just made sense. I suppose it would be silly to send one piece back just to have that one thing done... is there any reason that you'd want to send Tim more parts, for powder coating, maybe?

Not right now, I'm tapped out. And I live on the other side of the country so shipping times are either really long or really high. I was going to let Tim do the switch hole because I had to order a new center section to have room for a switch but he said it was impossible to be certain it would line up correctly the way I wanted it without the blade holder and choke on site due to subtle variations in the machining process, so I'm stuck doing it myself. I had to order parts at different times - a few each payday - so he didn't have them together to be sure. Totally my fault for having limited funds. What kind of tools are needed to do it properly?

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

you need a drill with a counter-boar but if you've already done the initial switch hole you could try a dremel, but it'd be a real bitch to get a smooth surface...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Do you have a Drill press? If so you need a milling bit the size of the nut/bezel and a drill bit the size of the hole. What I do is center the piece in the drill vise (soft jaws of course) and sink the bezel first then drill switch hole. I may be doing it wrong, but they always come out nice for me and it works so........

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I would get a countersink bit. They are usually for wood but you can find some that will work with metal.

You most likely will need a drill press.

They also sell a drill bit that looks like a little top, it starts small on the bottom and gets bigger on top. It is meant to drill different sized holes but if you go halfway into the hilt you get that countersink effect.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll try these out on a few sink tubes for practice and see which works best for me.

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's not really going to work to practice this on a sink tube, they are too thin.

The only thing you could sort of practice is drilling a hole, but most people can't do it in a sink tube with just the one bit, at least I can't, with out the tube tearing.

It's usually better to go gradually, starting with a small bit and working your way up.

The aluminum of your MHS hilt is going ito behave differently when you drill it, and the walls are thicker.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I found a machine shop about 30 minutes away that I'm gonna try to get to fix it for me tomorrow. Don't have the guts to risk it myself after talking with Tim today via PM. Thanks, Tim!

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ