Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Any chance we can get a Shiny Yellow Gold here?

Ronan, you might be happy to pay for the work, but it is a labor-intensive process, and time Tim would spend on that would be time he couldn't spend on other things, like keeping things in stock and creating new products (like the eagerly awaited TCSS soundboard/LED driver). Obviously, it's Tim's call, but for me it's not a high priority. (Then again, I have my own PC equipment. ) Machined brass and copper would be cool, but copper without some kind of protective coating or constant polishing gets real ugly real fast, as I discovered in my first saber build.

Oh, and Ronan, this is an all-ages site, so no expletives allowed (including acronyms).

Crystal, you're in Halifax? As in Nova Scotia? How cool is that. You are now Anne of Green Gables in my mind. Yeah, I know Anne lived on P.E.I., but it's just 200 km north, and it's all the same to us Americans who have never been there. (Wandering Son, the manga I'm currently translating--about two transgendered six-graders--is rife with references to Anne, so I have Anne on the brain right now.)
    There's always a bigger fish.

Another thing to consider is that while many of us might be willing to pay the extra cost for the extra polishing involved in doing a trans gold PC it also means more TIME involved for Strydur to do that extra polishing than normal PC...time he might have to take away from doing other kinds of custom work.

And also lets not forget he also has a whole TCSS store business to run AND must need time to have a personal 'real life' beyond our mere saber building concerns too eh?

All [polishing] work and no [life] fun might make Tim a dull boy even if it made our sabers extra shiny [golden] and I don't think we'd REALLY want that for such a nice guy would we?

But if he ever does find it worthwhile to offer trans gold PC [or we can get Kaminoans to make a few polishing clones of him] I'm sure I'll be in line for trans gold too LOL

edit: Matt beat me to it...my typing is too slow lol
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 08-09-2010 at 07:32 PM.

There's a demand for it, it's up to him to see if he wants to supply it.

Personally, i know i already have a couple pieces in mind that are begging for it (c'mon Tim!!!)

And to Crystal Chamber saying Halifax is smaller than Montreal and carries my aforementioned services/items, Montreal sadly doesn't. Last time i wanted to get my AR's lower anodized, i had to drive 2 hours to find a decent (but very expensive) shop that was doing it to milspec grade. Hell I can't even find a good garage to take care of my two cars... If you could PM me their contact information, i have some PC business for them! (I fail at PMing someone on this forum...).

Edit: Oops i cursed (i did not even realized), sorry kids. Uncle Ronan picked up some bad language in his 10 years in NY
    Last edited by Ronan; 08-09-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Yeah, you need to be a member here for two weeks before PMs work. As this site is attached to a store it's not a good idea to promote other products or services even through PMs. Tim has been known to do some custom work by request like custom colour PC for MHS parts he ships out but no send in service as far as I'm aware.

While I seem to be able to find most things locally it takes some looking and it's usually on the edge of town and requires a cab since I don't drive. Halifax is also the biggest city (not very big) central in the region with Montreal (way bigger) being a 12 hour drive for those who are unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    , i had to drive 2 hours to find a decent (but very expensive) shop
    If you were traveling west that would put you right about here in Ottawa. (And you couldn't even take the time to knock on my door and say hello )

I agree with everything. Finding a descent(read: inexpensive) local PC shop is difficult. And it would be great if Tim could supply us with more variety.
    I for one, was unaware that there would be an extra process for the Trans Gold.

I would be willing to pay the an extra fee. I know the decision is up Tim, I also state this so that he can be aware that there is some interest. Whether it's profitable for him, he will determine that.

Until that time I am looking into ways to do my own.

Matt you mentioned you have your own equipment. Care to tell us more, cost, process, tutorial? (or would that be a forum no-no?)
    ~S~
    "My inner child lets my outer adult pay bills and that's it." - Crystal Chambers
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." - da Vinci
    "If I wanted your opinion, I'd have told you what it was" - Pemmin

Quote Originally Posted by ecko View Post
    Matt you mentioned you have your own equipment. Care to tell us more, cost, process, tutorial? (or would that be a forum no-no?)
    Not sure it would be a non-no, since there's nothing to promote. I just got hold of the now-discontinued Craftsman Powder Coating System on ebay. You might still be able to dig one up somewhere. They aren't (or rather "weren't") expensive, and are easy to use. I don't know why it was discontinued.
    There's always a bigger fish.

over-all getting a low budget PC'ing machien for 'our hobby' needs is VERY cheap..

but the machine isnt the only thing you'll need.

PC mahine
    oven
    poweders
    hooks
    tin-foil
    high temp tape
    silicon plugs (various sizes).

etc.

I have found the hardest things are:

proping/secuing irregular, or long pieces (having a normal full size oven helps this of course)

and getting decent finishes on trans colors.. (usually hot flocking or another cost while hot helps this as well)

proper set-up, ventilaztion and disposal also count.

lots to get and set-up when you could pay Tim the $12-15 bucks or whatever it costs!

for the time clean, prep, tape, mount/secure, mist/dust...move/hang and then cure the part!..

I dont see there being much profit at all.. not at his prices.

you guys should check out PC forums to get soem ideas fo what 'pros' charge for this...and you'll be thanking Tim (again)

Sorry ecko! Next time i'm near ottawa i'll come say hello!

And we can add SPACE to the list. I live in a ~80 square meter apartment, alone, but i can say my photography equipment is already taking quite a lot of space.

Oh what i would give for a basement... i would put all my tools in there...

Ah maybe when i get older and buy a house

xl97, i don't think i have seen anyone complain about Tim's prices. If anything most of us are ready to pay MORE to get more options and all that...