Thread: My first lightsaber (Work in progress)

Default My first lightsaber (Work in progress)

Well, after a year or so, here's my project! Still a work-in-progress but it's coming along.

I moved from a 2D CAD environment to a 3D modelling one. I revisited a lot of my earlier designs and concepts, improved manufacturability, made some changes, and this is the result. These have been built up in UGS NX4 Computer-Assisted Design/Machining/Engineering under my school's license, and rendered in a trial version of Autodesk Inventor.

Single-Bladed:
    http://daveluck.deviantart.com/art/D...ured-103429454

Double-Bladed:
    http://daveluck.deviantart.com/art/M...aber-103429615

The internal dimensions are as follows:
    8.11" x 1.27"(dia) for the insides of the body. This includes clearance for a nut that holds the spike or the other saber.
    1.78" x 1.00"(dia) for the inside of the emitter, for holding the blade.

There are some drawings on the site, but they are currently out of date and need to be updated. I will do this as soon as I can.

Hopefully this should be enough room for the internals; four AA batteries, the core, LED driver, and the power bar, recharge port, rumbling motor, and two buttons. Ten inches, not counting the spike is a comfortable length for me, although I have been working on another design that adds an extra two inches to the pipe that forms the body, and more or less if need be. I'm still trying to plan the installation, so we'll see.

Total weight is expected to be ~2.84lbs. The body is 6061 Aluminium, but the emitter and end cap are T-316 stainless steel (but this may change to 4140 alloy steel, as the plating makes stainless unnecessary) and the 'brainsticker' spike is heat treated 4340 alloy steel. The body is plated in Chrome Nitride for visual appeal and to increase superficial hardness, and the rest of the parts are plated with Titanium Carbon Nitride. The machining will be done here at the shop, the plating is being outsourced. If I can't get the plating done, the spike will be stainless as well. It will certainly be quite hefty and have a lot of weight.

Thoughts? Advice? This will be the first illuminated lightsaber I've made.
    My first saber is still a work in progress, hope to have it finished soon!

That's beautiful!
    How will it come apart for installation of the electronics? Do the ends just unscrew or does it separate somewhere else?

Do you have a Crystal Focus board for this? It's certainly pretty enough to warrant a sound board of that level.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Thank you.

The entire assembly comes apart, starting with the emitter. The emitter, body and endcap are threaded and fit into each other. The end spike is actually a dressed-up bolt and is attached with a nut. That's how the components attach to each other.

I haven't got a sound board yet; I've been trying to get the plans down before buying the components so there would be no expensive goof-ups and stuff would fit. I was under the impression that the Plecter Saber Cores had the sound and sensors pre-installed.

The Crystal Focus, the board from Plector Labs is indeed a complete solution. It offers customizable sounds and control of the blade LED(s) as well as accent LEDs. The downside of this one is the rarity of the board. Erv Plector makes them in his home, so they are produced in limited runs with months between them. He just had the latest version 4.1 run earlier this month.

Another option is the UltraSound board. These run sound and LED, and they are produced in a higher quantity, and are a bit less expensive. They are not as customizable however. A very solid option if you want a sabre that doesn't have to sound like anything other than a lightsabre (the Crystal Focus can do nearly any sound effect you put in it). I'll likely use US boards for most sabres that don't need the extra features CF offers.

Those are available here on the Custom Saber Shop: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ul...d-20-P318.aspx
    Last edited by Donnovan Sunrider; 11-25-2008 at 12:33 PM.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Looks a lil complex, but still its freaking sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnovan Sunrider View Post
    The Crystal Focus, the board from Plector Labs is indeed a complete solution. It offers customizable sounds and control of the blade LED(s) as well as accent LEDs. The downside of this one is the rarity of the board. Erv Plector makes them in his home, so they are produced in limited runs with months between them. He just had the latest version 4.1 run earlier this month.

Another option is the UltraSound board. These run sound and LED, and they are produced in a higher quantity, and are a bit less expensive. They are not as customizable however. A very solid option if you want a sabre that doesn't have to sound like anything other than a lightsabre (the Crystal Focus can do nearly any sound effect you put in it). I'll likely use US boards for most sabres that don't need the extra features CF offers.

Those are available here on the Custom Saber Shop: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ul...d-20-P318.aspx

-----------------------Off Topic--------------------

Why is it you guys always say "Plector" instead of Plecter?

-----------------------Off Topic--------------------

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Ya know, I never even noticed that I was spelling it wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hmm. Are the ultrasound boards 'swing sensitive' in that they'll alter the pitch of the whoosh depending on how fast the sabers are swung?

Since the point of balance on these lightsabers will change when they're connected as one, I figured I could use the extra flexibility. Cost really isn't too much of an issue because I usually don't mind having to wait for months, even years to get what I require for personal ends.

I checked out Hyperblade but the thing is those have LEDs arranged in strips along a board inside the blade itself and that doesn't sit right with me for obvious reasons. I also found LEDengin and I've been wondering if anyone's ever managed to rig up a 15w LED before? I read about can deal with the heat problem, but my guess is that it would require an amplifier of some sort.

Yes the Ultrasound V2's are indeed "swing sensitive". It has several different swing sounds depending on how fast you swing your saber. That is, that's what we all saw in the Ultrasound V2 demo video on youtube. I don't remember if that made the final cut, but as far as I know it does have that feature.

Maverick
    New people, read here first. It will answer a lot of your questions ->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6430