Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Saber Building Dictionary

Here's a couple I think would fit:

Covertec: A luggage company that provided special belt clips for the lightsaber props used in the Prequel movies. The term also refers to the clips themselves, which function similarly to cell phone belt clips. This is a popular style of belt clip used by many saber enthusiasts.

D-Ring/ O-Ring: Metal rings attached to, or close to, the pommel of a lightsaber, used to hang the lightsaber from a belt hook. Used for the original Trilogy lightsaber props.

Crystal Chamber: In-story, the internal space of a lightsaber that houses a focusing crystal. In real life, some saber enthusiasts like to add a decorative crystal chamber, using plastic gems or actual crystals, often with an LED display.

And one I'd like to see clarified is "kill switch." I know those have something to do with custom soundboards like Crystal Focus and charging ports, but other than this passing knowledge, their purpose eludes me.

If anybody would like to elaborate upon my additions, please feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex Antares View Post
    Here's a couple I think would fit:

Covertec: A luggage company that provided special belt clips for the lightsaber props used in the Prequel movies. The term also refers to the clips themselves, which function similarly to cell phone belt clips. This is a popular style of belt clip used by many saber enthusiasts.

I was assuming the Covertecs were cell phone clips?
    Correct me if I was wrong, but I thought that they are pretty standard, and thats why they are readily available.

D-Ring/ O-Ring: Metal rings attached to, or close to, the pommel of a lightsaber, used to hang the lightsaber from a belt hook. Used for the original Trilogy lightsaber props.

Remember that Vader's sabers all had D-Rings on the emitter, making his saber hand emitter upwards.

Crystal Chamber: In-story, the internal space of a lightsaber that houses a focusing crystal. In real life, some saber enthusiasts like to add a decorative crystal chamber, using plastic gems or actual crystals, often with an LED display.

And one I'd like to see clarified is "kill switch." I know those have something to do with custom soundboards like Crystal Focus and charging ports, but other than this passing knowledge, their purpose eludes me.

A Kill switch can be used in any electronic setup in a saber.
    It is basically a way of wiring the recharge ports sold in the store, so that when you insert a plug into the socket, it shuts off all battery power to the saber. A plastic plug is sold in the store for this purpose. The plug is the kill key, while the recharge port retains the name, even if wired like that. Mostly used with soundboards because they draw more power while on 'standby' or 'idling'.

Alternatives also include putting a latching switch between the batteries and the rest of the electronics
    Comments in red

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Updated.. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

OK, just while I read that again, I saw the gaps.

Firstly, RE Ultrasound.

New additions, 2.1, 2.5. These soundboards are no longer in production.

CF now has (maybe others, but the ones I know) v4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5

A new Plecterlabs soundboard, called Petit Crouton, or PC for short, is in production. The current version is 1.2 (?). Note: Only available to Plecterlabs affiliates, so you can't go and buy these. They were made to be a replacement for MR/ Hasbro FX boards.

Force FX boards are now not produced by MR. They are now made by Hasbro.

Economy hasbro board types:
    1999 version, uses lightbulb, no swing,
    Generic force action type board, preceding them.
    Force action version - has 1 swing sound, flash on clash and activation/retraction. Can be coupled with a relay/transistor for brighter LED.
    2010 version - much better updated sounds. Multiple types of board layout to suit certain hilts, Obi-Wan version most liked (?). LED outputs are dismally low ma, relay/transistor method must be used to drive LED's correctly.

New LED's on the block:

LEDEngins. They come in 3w, 5w, and 10w packages. Also come in RGBW/A, in various configurations (e.g RGGB). Do not come in Cyan or Amber (?).

I put a (?) if I was not completely sure of a certain fact.

"You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Covertec: From what I heard, Covertec is a luggage company, and the Covertec wheels/knobs and belt-boxes were from part of their laptop cases. I mean, they operate exactly the way cell phone cradle clips do, but the belt box is large, with two switches on the side. My saber uses a cell phone clip, which is nice, but personally, I'd love to have a metal Covertec clip with the actual box. Those triggers look like fun to jam down on!

D-Ring/ O-Ring: Semantics XD But while we're on the subject, in the second issue of the old Marvel Comics Star Wars, there's a line that's kinda funny...

"Touch the brightly-colored button up there by the pommel…."
    ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

UP there... by the POMMEL? I know Obi-Wan was old by then, but come on! What if his journals had made the same mistake? It's a wonder the green blade didn't come out the OTHER end of Luke's saber! XD

Kill Switches: Lemme se if I understand this: As long as the power source in a lightsaber is charged, even when the saber is not lit up and all "vwoomy," the cells are still expending energy? I thought that was just for rechargeable packs.

And while we're at it, what's a latching switch?
    Last edited by Dex Antares; 07-07-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Whoops. Made a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex Antares View Post
    Kill Switches: Lemme se if I understand this: As long as the power source in a lightsaber is charged, even when the saber is not lit up and all "vwoomy," the cells are still expending energy? I thought that was just for rechargeable packs.

Yes, but obviously not as much. It is just good habit to only give your devices power (from any source) when you are using them. Killkeys are most used with rechargable packs because they sometimes don't go in battery holders like normal cells do, so you can't just take them out of your hilt.

And while we're at it, what's a latching switch?
    That question is GOING to get you flamed. It is in the first post of this very thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    That question is GOING to get you flamed. It is in the first post of this very thread.
    God, excuse a guy for missing a single line of text, by ACCIDENT... if it's such a big deal, why don't you just get my question, ANY the reply, removed?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Chill out, Dex.

You did kind of embarrass yourself a little by asking that question. There are plenty of ways you could have answered that for yourself.

Maybe even by simple reasoning of what the words "momentary" and "latching" mean, by themselves.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

And just for the record, I meant to answer the question. I pointed you to the information, and warned you that those kind of questions (the kind that you can answer yourself) aren't appreciated very much here.

Exclamation

So can you use a Buckpuck with a Hasbro cheapy, in hopes to save battery juice? If the resistor is the worst way to power an LED, what can ya do? Help! I was going to use a buck puck with a sound...