Thread: switches & joe jedi boards

Default switches & joe jedi boards

to any and all who have used the joe jedi board... what did you do for a switch? other than using an activation box from the kit that is. Im wondering if i should try and do an offboard switch or if i should just try and use the board switch and make a pushbutton somehow and carefully align the holes,Im using the Kits batt pack. Ive got the board in its original tube and shaved down the O.D. to fit inside a ribbed section, and I know its not bright (though it does look better w/ a corbin blade) but ive got the prolight and the clash sensor in their original housing and its O.D. is shaved down to fit into style2 choke

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I believe most ot us are adding external switches. You can remove the one on there and solder on a new one. It's not the easiest soldering job, but it works for sure.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

You can solder a new switch to the existing switch pins sticking through the opposite side of the board. Thats what I did. Just be careful not to bridge the pins together with solder.
    Alderaan shot first.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Phiily Manyaan View Post
    You can solder a new switch to the existing switch pins sticking through the opposite side of the board. Thats what I did. Just be careful not to bridge the pins together with solder.
    Ditto.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Phiily Manyaan View Post

This is what I did, except I also pulled out the white plunger to disable the "on board" switch. THe switch I used was a DPDT slider that I got from the store.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFender View Post
    This is what I did, except I also pulled out the white plunger to disable the "on board" switch. THe switch I used was a DPDT slider that I got from the store.
    I haven't yanked the plunger but that's a good idea!

What I wouldn't give for a latching DPDT pushbutton of reasonable size... sigh...

i could leave the board alone and add a switch between it and the power supply right?

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordfaust View Post
    i could leave the board alone and add a switch between it and the power supply right?
    You could, but you would find that the board no longer had a powerdown sound.

The switch on the board isn't actually inline with the battery, it's a signal to the chip that it should change states. So when you turn off a MR board you are saying "Time to shut down" then the board plays the powerdown and cuts off the power. If you place the switch inline with the board it will just kill power without playing the powerdown first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
    I haven't yanked the plunger but that's a good idea!

What I wouldn't give for a latching DPDT pushbutton of reasonable size... sigh...
    I have one in one of my boxes somewhere, I just have to find it one of these days LOL. I had pulled it out of some appliance thinking some day I'll have use for it. Its the same size as a regular push button but latching instead of momentary and DPDT.