Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha think

Default Whatcha think

I've been messing around with some saber designs. I have about five or six that I will make a realty in due time. At first I thought this stuff was going to be more difficult then I though but really it's not all that bad. Just need some patience, and to pay attention. So soon enough I'll be ordering the goods to go LED and I'll have pics up asap.

In the meantime, this is my newest rendition of a model. I'd like to get the communities input on what you all think. I like it, a lot, but I feel like there is something about it that I could do to enhance it. I'd like to put some LED's on it somewhere but not really sure. Anyway, thoughts, suggestions?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's an interesting design, but there are some problems with where you have some of the parts located.

Is there a reason that you need two switches there? The switch holes are going to be awfully close to the threads on either end of that short extension piece. I'm not sure how well the switches will both fit there like that.

You also can't have the blade retention screw where you've placed it, it'll be in the threads of both the blade holder and short choke piece. You want your blade retention screw near the other end of the blade holder, it wouldn't do any good for holding the blade in, where you have it now, anyway.

And your Covertec button is another problem. Again, it will be in both the pommel and extension piece threads. You need to keep things like that in mind when you're designing a saber.

And what's that red round thing in the side of the upper choke piece?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    It's an interesting design, but there are some problems with where you have some of the parts located.

Is there a reason that you need two switches there? The switch holes are going to be awfully close to the threads on either end of that short extension piece. I'm not sure how well the switches will both fit there like that.

If the MHS builder is accurate then the buttons should have enough room without going into the threading. If not then I can just use one button. I had two with the intent of one being for show and not functional, though if I wanted to I'm sure I could make it so one was on and one was off. I just like a saber that looks like there might be a bit more going on then just a single on button. But like I said there are so many different designs and things people have done to their own that it would be interesting to know what I could do.

You also can't have the blade retention screw where you've placed it, it'll be in the threads of both the blade holder and short choke piece. You want your blade retention screw near the other end of the blade holder, it wouldn't do any good for holding the blade in, where you have it now, anyway.

I was actually going to put it more toward the end but I thought with the kind of style that blade holder is I didn't know how well drilling a hole would be there, what with the ridges and all. But if it won't be a problem then yeah I can just move it up more.

And your Covertec button is another problem. Again, it will be in both the pommel and extension piece threads. You need to keep things like that in mind when you're designing a saber.

Good point on this. Again I was iffy about the way the handle piece is designed, the ribbed extension. Would drilling a hole in that to fit the clip be alright? if so I can just move it down some, if not I could probably just put it under the rubber grip and cut around it accordingly.

And what's that red round thing in the side of the upper choke piece?
    And that's red round thing is this, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/10...crew-P274.aspx, just using it again as a show piece with no real function. That along with the retention screw, which does have a function, also could act as a sabers blade length adjustment and power adjustment, in theory anyway.

But thank for that feedback Loreen.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You want one switch to turn it on - and one switch to turn it off?... I suppose that would work... kinda silly, but possible. I thought you were prepping it for a CF

Those judco switches have boxes inderneath them. They might fit theoretically, but the boxes will interfer with each other, same with the wires. If you try it, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    You want one switch to turn it on - and one switch to turn it off?... I suppose that would work... kinda silly, but possible. I thought you were prepping it for a CF

Those judco switches have boxes inderneath them. They might fit theoretically, but the boxes will interfer with each other, same with the wires. If you try it, you'll see.
    Hey Eastern.

The judco switches being the ones on top? I thought, at least one anyway, were meant to fit in the drilled holes? I know that what I have there won't have a pre-drilled hole, that I can easily make myself. But I mean aren't those the switches that come in the LED starter kits anyway?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What Eastern is talking about is the size of the switch that's inside the saber, below the hole.

You can drill and tap a hole for the blade retention screw into one of the cuts of that style blade holder. I did it for a friend's saber, I think in the 2nd cut from the open end. Don't try to do it on top of one of the ridges, your drill bit will never stay there and just slip down into one of the cuts, anyway.

Ok, I thought that red circle was one of those screws from the shop. Just keep in mind that the wires from the LED will be going past that spot, so if you leave the threads long, you might want to protect the insulation so it doesn't get nicked and one of the wires short against the screw. Just food for thought.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 11-11-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Ahh, good point. Thanks again Loreen. Any suggestion on how to protect it? I know someone asked a similar question about his battery pack rattling and he used bubble wrap but I think thats to small for bubble wrap.

The box portion is no bigger than the plastic nut they come with.

The DF slotted section is 3.58" long so I am sure hes got plenty of room for the switches to be there, weather they will fit between the grip strips is beyond me.

Red thumb screw in the first choke isnt needed and the thumbscrew on the blade holder is to low, your getting to close to where the optics sit and wont help hold the blade in as well, farther up is usually best.

Other than that the CT knob screw will be in the pommel threading which IMO isn't all that big of a deal cause its aluminum, means its soft and it will smooth out any roughness in the threads. But I actually kinda like the idea of the screw in the pommel cause I know on my first saber the pommel kept wanting to come loose when dueling no matter how much I cranked on it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post

Red thumb screw in the first choke isnt needed....
    Thanks for that input Hasid. Like I was saying about the red thumbscrew and Loreen was telling me about insulating it's threading. I have it there as part of the lightsaber fiction, it doesn't have any function. It's just some flare.

Yeah I figured that but it will be very uncomfortable if you grip there and it will be silly gripping mid hilt.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics