Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MHS ribbed section size

I am getting my ribbed section in on Friday so I will throw some rings on it and post a pic.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Cool... But I might beat ya to it. []

something like that im guessing. i dont know if my measurments are right, i just guessed. but the flats i guessed at .150 and the cutout parts being .220 wide. if those are close you probably want 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 x1/8 thick rings. 1 3/8 might be a little loose.

hmmm hmmmm whooosh hmmmm whooosh crackel

scaarmor, for me it's a bit of both. As meiv4 so aptly illustrated in his rending it DOES look really nice and I suspect that it will help the grip just a bit. Aluminum does have a pretty good grip, but some rubber added to the equation can't hurt any. Thanks for input, y'all.

that pic looks cool. a good possibility for a section of mhs hilt.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

I decided to go with the paint (for color) afterall... I gotta say that it looks really nice too. You don't lose any of the rib depth with the paint.

This was a rush job with a Testors acrylic paint marker (black gloss):

Lucky-Dawg! Mine comes in today. The paint looks good, I was thinking of doing something similar with a brass/bronze tone. Did you rough it up before painting or just go for it?

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

looks good. very cool lookin. nice work.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3

Lucky-Dawg! Mine comes in today. The paint looks good, I was thinking of doing something similar with a brass/bronze tone. Did you rough it up before painting or just go for it?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I just painted it. Like I said, it was a rush job. I just figured that if it didn't stick, I'd do it again the right way. But lucky for me, it stuck first time around without having to scuff it.

Thats about 3 coats that you see there. It'd probably look alot better if it was airbrushed or even painted with a small paintbrush. The Testors paint markers are terrible for this type of thing.

My advide would be to mask off the threads and paint the whole thing.

When you're done, sand the paint off the outer portion of the ribbs. It will be a perfect line. The only problem is you will loose the lathe marks, but if you're good with sand paper you can replicate it.

Or you could just pollish it to a high gloss.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ