Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parts

Default Parts

I'm just starting out in this kind of stuff and want to know if I have all the parts I need to build 1 EL Saber.

-Complete Red EL Blade (40 inches)

-Screw on EL Blade holder (style 4)
    -Double threaded hilt (style 3)
    -MPS pommel (style 3 v2)
    -MPS insert (style 4)

-Push on/off switch w/ black button
    -Premium 9v connector
    -4Khz inverter
    -1/4" mono jack

-Convertec clip

Please tell me if I'm missing anything, thanks guys! And may The Force be with you.

EL is pretty old and obsolete now... have you had a look at the Luxeon LED stuff? That's the mainly used Saber tech.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

I'm not really feeling the effect of the LED sabers, not really a fan of the whole "flaring" at the base of the saber blade which is why I'm wanting an EL saber. Thank you for the info though. If you'd be able to tell me if I have all the parts I need for the EL saber it would be greatly appreciated.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It looks like you have everything you need to make an EL saber. The only other thing I would suggest is a machined Covertec button, the ones that come with the clips are flat. The machined ones fit nicely against the curve of the hilt, as they are designed to do.

Is there a reason you're going with EL, as opposed to LED? The red EL blade is the second dimmest, just above purple.

Whereas, with an LED saber the red LED is going to give you one of the brightest blades.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 11-09-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

thanks for the tip. The reason for going with EL instead of LED is like I said before, I don't like the idea of the blade flaring. I'm going for a more constant look through-out the entire blade.

Is there any way to boost the power so the red EL isn't so dull, perhaps?

I have had pretty good results getting rid of flaring by sandblasting the inside of a blade. If that helps sway you to the LED side.

Ummmmmm, you only get the flaring at the bottom of the blade with a Corbin blade... go to Ultrasabers.com and their Ultra blade is super even.

Its super bright, far better choice of colors, their are loads of Drivers and soundboards for Luxeon tech. Trust me, if you see a Luxeon in person against EL you will wonder what you were thinking
    Last edited by Malaki Skywalker; 11-09-2008 at 01:08 PM.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Malaki Skywalker View Post
    Uuuuuum, you only get the flaring at the botom of the blade with a Corbin blade... go to Ultrasabers.com and their Ultra blade is super even.
    Or use the Corbin blade with some cellophane gift wrap rolled up inside of it. I use about 5' of cellophane inside a double wrap of Corbin film, and my blades are very even.

Edit:

Here are a couple of pictures. The first one shows shorter blades, so they will tend to be more even anyway, but you can't see any real variation in brightness. The way to tell is to look at the flaring on the carpet. They're pretty even.

On these blades, if you look at the light spilling on the carpet, you can see a bit of base flare in these pictures, but to the naked eye, they look totally even. In my opinion, the dramatic increase in brightness from EL to LED is totally worth putting up with a little flaring that only shows up in pictures.

It's up to you though. Just my $.02

Last edited by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie; 11-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.

in light of this new information and website. I shall dwell on the thought a while. Thanks again all for your help and ideas.

~~ May The Force be with you!

Cellophane is also good for giving an even blade for LED. Just roll a long length up and put it in the blade inside the diffuser.
    Thrust the people here who say red LEDs are bright, I can tell you they are. Though I've not seen an EL blade in person, anyone who has says they just don't hold up in the brightness stakes.

Edit: Darn, beaten to the punch. Still the info stands.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger